9. She Yells

When they returned to the training facility, the first thing they did was grab drinks at their usual bar.

(Y/N) didn't know if anyone else noticed or not, but Alex seemed a bit different since the wedding. He kept his tongue (slightly) better, wrote more, and had a new fire in his eyes. Yes, he was still willing to die for his country, but now he had a reason to live.

A reason to come home.

It was about a week into being there when she ran into an unexpected face.

The shock across his face was evident. Was he new in their group, not yet having heard about the "famous" woman sharpshooter in their group? Or perhaps just didn't know the girl he'd fought alongside was the one he'd tried to degrade at the ball.

"(Y/N) (L/N)?" His eyebrows raised, a small smirk flit across his face.

She scowled. "Charles Lee."

Uncertainty grabbed ahold of his features for a moment before he regained his snide smile.

But she was no longer in heels that barely fit her toes or a long dress that tripped her. Her hair wasn't heavy on her head, pinned up in curls.

She was at home now. She had the high ground now.

The two stared at each other for a while, dislike radiating through each others' stares.

Finally, (Y/N) took a step back. "Well, if you have nothing to say, Lee, you'll kindly excuse me. I really have much more pressing things to do."

With that, she turned on her heel and strode to her room.

When she entered it, she found her friends sitting on her bed, chatting. They quieted down when they saw her face.

"What's the matter?" Alex asked. She wondered how much her fury actually showed on her face.

"How long has Lee been here?" She demanded, looking around at each face. Daring them to tell her he was a good soldier. A good person, even.

"He just got transferred to our building when we got back," Laf said, standing up. "Has he done anything to you?"

It was an honest question, because he cared about her - but it rubbed her quite the wrong way. Did they all think that whoever didn't like her could take advantage of her that easily? Was she that weak to them?

"Is that what you think of me?" She searched the room with her eyes, seeing their stunned faces. Even the hurt in Laf's eyes didn't phase her. "That I'm a piece of China, that could be broken by anyone who walks by? That I'm a pretty flower who does its job and can be cut down as quickly as it grows? That I need you to take care of me?"

Her words reverberated throughout the silent room. She tried hard not to look anyone in the eye, immediately wishing she could take back the words she'd spoken.

Not being able to bear it anymore, she turned and ran.

She fled past the other soldiers in the halls, their figures just blurs through her growing tears. They were falling thick and fast by the time she reached her destination.

Nobody was outside in the shooting ranges at this time of day - practice had finished up already. (Y/N) tucked her head into her knees and cried, wishing she could take back every single word she'd yelled back in that room, wishing more than anything that Charles Lee didn't exist.

After a long time, she turned to see Laf standing there, there rest of the group hovering behind him hesitantly.

Funny how a tall man could look so small, she thought. He had no reason to be ashamed, he had every right to be concerned about her. If Charles Lee had meant to take advantage of her, what was to stop him from doing it?