Chapter 2

They sat there in silence for a while. "You better get some sleep." Toby said breaking the silence. Toby turned off the TV and the lights. Xoe quickly fell into a deep sleep; she started dreaming of what happened tonight.

"Where the hell were you?" Xoe's dad yelled.

"Hanging out with my boyfriend Toby." Xoe pointed at Toby. Her father grabbed her hair and pulled her closer, Xoe cried.

"Stop, you're hurting her!" Toby yelled trying to pull Xoe away from her father. Her father pushed Toby away.

"Get off my property. This is none of your concern!"

"She is my concern." Toby hit Xoe's father. He threw Xoe on the ground and threw a punch at Toby. They began to fight each other, they both started to bleed. Xoe was screaming and crying. Her father threw another punch, Toby fell to the ground. Xoe was watching her father beat Toby just like he does with her. Her father just kept hitting Toby with more force in each blow. She tried to scream to get her father to stop but nothing came out. She wanted to run over there and hold Toby and tell him it was okay but she couldn't move either!

"Xoe?" She heard someone call. "Xoe!" The voice said again. The voice just kept calling her name over and over again. Finally her eyes shot open. Her vision was filled with the sight of Toby's face. "You were having a nightmare." Toby said brushing Xoe's hair back with his fingers. "It's late, just go back to sleep."

Xoe woke up the next morning with her head resting on Toby's shoulder.

"Good morning beautiful." Toby said playing with a lock of Xoe's hair. "Did you sleep well?" Xoe yawned.

"I slept, okay." Xoe whispered.

"You're so cute when you sleep." Xoe laughed.

"Thanks," Xoe mumbled before touching her lips to Toby's. They kissed passionately. Toby loved Xoe, even though he hates the fact that her father beats her, but he is really happy that she is living at his house. He pulled his lips away from Xoe's.

"What's wrong?" Xoe asked sounding upset.

"What was your nightmare about?"

"My dad... and you."

"What happened?"

"Well instead of abusing me, he was abusing you."

"Oh." Xoe got an angry look on her face.

"Yeah. The worst part was I couldn't do anything about it! I was stuck there, forced to watch it like some kind of horror movie!"

"Xoe its okay, I'm okay. It was just a dream."

"I know, I'm sorry." Toby put his hand on Xoe's knee.

"You don't have anything to worry about. You are just stressed and confused."

"No, I mean I'm sorry for putting you and your family through all of this. This is my hill to climb."

"But it's still okay to let someone help you once in a while." Toby smiled. "Well let's get dressed."

"Umm I didn't really have time to pack if you know what I mean."

"Oh, well I'm sure I can find you something to wear." Toby jumped up and ran upstairs. He pulled out a purple V-neck t-shirt, a black cardigan, a pair of jeans, and a white scarf. He ran back downstairs and handed Xoe the clothes. "You can go change in the bathroom."

"Thanks," I went to the bathroom and Toby ran upstairs, they both changed. Toby ran back downstairs and saw Xoe sitting on the couch in his clothes.