Chapter 23: I Love You

Mona rolled over to her left and opened her eyes slowly. She caught her breath at the sight of Felix sleeping peacefully beside her. Maliwanag na sa labas. She didn't know if it's still early in the morning, but somehow, her alarm didn't go off.

Marahan siyang kumilos para hindi ito magising. She sat up and leaned against the headboard of her bed, carefully pulling up the blanket to her chest. Felix stirred, making her catch her breath. But he was still fast asleep.

She reached out her hand and touched his hair. What a way to wake up in the morning. She never had mornings like that one before. It was actually kind of nice. At sa tinagal-tagal na niyang single, isa iyon sa mga pinapangarap niya. Especially at her age, when things like that should be the norm.

Bumaba ang kamay niya sa pisngi ni Felix. His stubbles are getting longer. Nakalimutan ba nitong mag-shave?

She almost jumped out of the bed when Felix's hand caught hers. Pinisil nito ang kamay niya saka ito nagmulat ng mga mata.

"Morning," he murmured.

"Good morning!" Ngumiti siya at binawi ang kamay.

She didn't think that he'd wake up early. Hindi pa siya nakakapagbihis. And he's well aware of that, judging by his smile.

"Do you want to get some breakfast?"

Felix sat up next to her and nuzzled her neck. "I thought you'd never ask."

Tumawa siya. "Grabe ka! I meant breakfast as in pagkain!"

Felix grinned. "Sure! I could use some food."

She averted her gaze when he got out of bed. Hinayaan niya itong makapagbihis at umuna sa kusina bago siya nagbihis. Pagkabihis, saka niya ito sinundan.

She found him standing in front of the kitchen stove. Hawak nito ang skillet sa isang kamay. May bowl at isang plastic ng sliced bread sa tabi nito. Nilapitan niya si Felix at niyakap mula sa likod.

"What are you making?"

"French toast."

"Hmm... are you sure you're ready for that or is it a good time to call the fire department?"

"Ha-ha. I'm good at this. Mahilig kasi sa toast si Angela so I had a lot of practice."

Bahagyang lumuwag ang pagkakayakap niya rito, which he noticed right away. Bumuntong-hininga si Felix at saka humarap sa kanya.

"Sorry."

"Why are you saying sorry?" she asked with a frown.

"Ayoko lang na hindi ka kumportable. I'll be mindful next time."

"Okay lang naman sa 'kin, e. You don't need to hide the fact that you have a kid. And besides, Angela's adorable."

"Does this mean that you'd be okay to hang out with Angela?"

"Uhm... sure?"

Felix cupped her face and smiled. "I want you two to bond, but if you're not ready, then I won't push it."

"Hindi naman ako nag-aalalang baka hindi ako ready, e. I'm worried that she won't be ready for me, that she won't even want to try to bond. She might not like me."

"She'll like you."

"You don't know that."

"Everyone likes you. You're very likable."

"Really?" She raised an eyebrow. "And what about Andrea?"

Felix averted his gaze. "Well... she's a different case."