"Speak of the devil," Jasper mumbled with his fork still in his mouth, and both Monty and I followed the lanky boy's line of sight.

"She does not look happy," Monty commented, and I rolled my eyes as the blonde teen approached us with a scowl permanently fixed on her face.

"No she does not," I muttered under my breath, before plastering a fake smile on my lips as she stood before us. "Hey, Jennifer. What's up?"

Her arms were crossed over her chest as she glared down at me; seriously, what did I ever do to her?

"Mum said that your medical checkup is now, and she wants you to make it on time, so you need to leave now," she spoke through gritted teeth, as if she wished to be doing anything right now but delivering me this message.

My medical checkups occurred twice every week, and they had been going on since the past month, when my accident happened. They were compulsory apparently, in order for me to have a speedy and healthy recovery. It usually just consisted of me getting my vitals checked and asked questions that I never knew the answers to.

"Okay, thanks." I smiled at her, only to receive an eye-roll in return before she stormed off to God knows where.

I knew she was my sister and all, but I honestly didn't feel like we were even related. We were literally nothing alike, I saw no similarities in features between us, and she was a nuisance. Then again, everybody probably thinks that about their siblings, right?

"How you put up with her is beyond me," Jasper commented casually, eliciting a chuckle from myself.

I began to stand up and dust myself off as I nodded. "I guess I'll see you guys later?"

"We'll be in our room," Monty said with a nod. "Good luck with your checkup. I hope you remember something!"

I laughed, already turning around and walking away. "I hope I remember something too!" I called back with an amused tone, my voice managing to be heard over the chatter of everyone and the piano music.

It was humouring, because I never did.

***

The white-washed room and colourful blinking monitors was something I had grown used to now. At first, it sent chills down my spine because of how unsettling everything felt, but just as everything in this mountain, I soon got used to it. The bed I was sat on was hard beneath me, and I could feel the cool metal through my thin-cotton trousers, making me shiver slightly. As always, my thoughts were a million miles away, probably because I had no interest in these checkups anymore. It was a bit obvious I was okay now, aside from the whole 'not having memories' part, so why the checkups?

"Y/L/N."

I zoned back into reality when my doctor spoke, and responded with, "Pardon?"

He was stood opposite me, holding a clipboard that probably contained something important, but he wasn't paying attention to it. Instead, his eyes were drawn to me, studying me like I was some rare specimen he had never encountered before, when we both knew that wasn't true because he had been my doctor my whole life, or at least I was told he had been.

"Y/L/N," he repeated, lowering his clipboard as if he were waiting for some reaction. The only reaction he was getting was confusion.