Chapter 13: Keep Yourself Alive

John POV

With caution, I made my way up the stairs. What Mia told me was bad- really bad -but I couldn’t bring myself to be upset with her. Those emerald eyes were so heartbroken and brimming with tears, how could I be? If it was anyone else I’d be fuming, but it was Mia. She was different. She wasn’t just ‘anyone else’ to me anymore. We were friends now, maybe even stronger than that, and I was going to do all I could to make everyone on good terms again.

I turned the corner and knocked on the door of the room me and my band mates share.

“Go away!” A voice yelled.

My eyes rolled. “Since when was I kicked out of our room?”

It took a few seconds, but the door finally swung open, revealing a puzzled, blonde drummer.

“Sorry Deacy, I thought you were...someone else.” Roger said as he backed away to let me in. The atmosphere between the four of us was odd. Freddie sat on his bed with conflicted eyes. Brian was beside him, looking with worry and slight frustration. And then there was Roger, who was completely furious. It was quite unlike them. Brian glanced at me for a few moments, taking me in.

"You're looking better..." He muttured.

I nodded, shoving my hands under my arms. "I am feeling a bit clearer now. You guys look like the Hindenburg, though."

They looked between the three of them, communicating through their eyes in a not-so-secret language. I rolled my own and cut to the chase.

"I know everything, about Freddie and Mia. She's really broken up about this whole ordeal and I just came here to tell you that you shouldn't be so hard on her."

Roger scoffed loudly. "She's really broken up? Look at Fred for Christ's sake!"

I glanced over at him with sad eyes. His head hung to the floor, and his back twitched lightly with each silent sniffle. Freddie wouldn't look at me- at anyone -just at the carpeted ground beneath him, deep in thought. My heart sank a little at the sight.

"I know Roger, he's a wreck! But do you really think she wanted him to feel like that?! In case it wasn't blatantly obvious to you guys, but she loves Freddie quite a bit. Imagine having to tell the person you love that they...you know."

Brian sighed, running his bony fingers through the mess of brunette curls dangling from his head. "He's got a point, Rog."

The blonde glared at him with a red hot rage boiling through his usually soft features. "She kept something from us! Something pretty damn important, if you ask me." He protested.

"Yes, she did, but just put yourself in her shoes. That kind of subject isn't something you just pull out of a hat, y'know." I shot back.

Before another word could be said, Freddie quickly got up from his spot between the guitarist and the drummer and ran out the door, clicking shut behind him. I quickly got up to chase after him, but Brian grabbed my shoulder. "Give him some space." He said.

The three of us stared at the brass knob, wondering where he was off to.

Mia POV

My forehead pressed against the cool wooden surface of the table, making my face feel even more clammy. I've never felt so sick in my life. I did my best to try and calm down but it seemed like nothing worked. With my luck I was going to have a massive pit in my stomach for the rest of my life. The only thing giving me hope was that any minute Ellie was going to be home. She'd be able to help with this mess.

Waves of vibration buzzed through my leg. I fumbled through my pocket for a minute and fished out my phone. There was a text from my room mate, making the pit in my stomach turn into a dark abyss.

Hey. Won't be home tonight, boss wants me to pick up an extra shift. Hit me up if you need anything(:

My head slammed against the table again. I'm screwed for even longer now. Ellie wasn't here to make me feel better, and Deacy hadn't came back downstairs yet. It was just me, myself, and I in the kitchen with my scattered brain. Not that I wasn't used to it by now. Most of my time before Queen literally popped into my life was spent in solitude, soaking in every thought that ran through my head.

Out of the blue, the sound of footsteps came into earshot. My head shot up, which I quickly came to regret for two reasons. First reason being I hit the table quite hard and made me feel a bit dizzy from sitting up too fast. The second reason being that as soon as my blurry eyes came into focus, a familiar figure came into view.

He leaned against the doorway, his hands shoved deeply into the pockets of his jacket.

"Mia..." Freddie said weakly.

I didn't know what to say, or if I should even say anything. I just looked at him, dumbfounded that was actually talking to me. Slowly, Freddie moved across the kitchen tile until he was only a few feet away from me.

"I've done my thinking..." His voice trailed off, maybe suggesting that I should respond.

I got out of my chair to talk with him face to face. "And...?" I replied hesitantly.

His hands fiddled around in his pockets apprehensively, his eyes glued to the floor.

"And," Freddie repeated. "Well, all of this was hard to take, as you can probably imagine. The weight on my chest was- and is -so heavy it makes me feel sick almost. I spent all day thinking and thinking and thinking about this mess and, although hard for me to do, my heart's been telling me to forgive you. It's not your fault I'm dead, is it?" He chuckled humorlessly. "I can sort of understand your reasoning for not telling me. If the roles were reversed, I probably wouldn't have told you either."

Those words were like music to my ears. He wasn't mad at me. He didn't hate me.

I dared to step a bit closer and break the space between us. Freddie looked up at me with his deep brown eyes. The sparkle and charm they usually held wasn't back yet, but I knew it would take some time for it to return. My hand intertwined with his and pulled it up to my cheek.

"Are we good?" I asked softly, rubbing his knuckles with my thumb. A sad smile spread across his face. "It's going to be a work in progress, but I suppose so."

I nodded understandingly and kissed his hand before letting it go. "Work in progress." I repeated. Freddie snaked his arms around my waist and pulled me into a warm embrace. Instinctively my face burrowed in his chest and my arms wrapped around his neck.

"I'm really sorry, Freddie. You know I'd never hurt you like that on purpose. I'll make it up to you, I promise." I mumbled through his shirt.

His fingers trailed up and down my back, making me shiver. "I know," Freddie murmured in my ear. "You're forgiven. I don't know so much for Roger and Brian, though. I'm sure Brian'll warm back up to you soon, but Roger likes to hold a grudge."

"Great." I sighed. He kissed my cheek and pulled out of my grasp, leaning his forehead against mine. "It'll be okay, I promise you." Freddie said.

His words were genuine, but I knew it might be a long and bumpy road on the way back to 'okay' again.