Chapter 11: There's No Reason For Living With A Broken Heart

Long vibrations buzzed through the mattress and I grabbed my phone.

6:30 am.

I sighed, not wanting to leave my spot next to Freddie. He looked so peaceful; his dark ruffled hair strewn messily over his face, and his mouth pouted, letting out soft snores. After shutting off my alarm and savoring the last few minutes I could have in my bed, I gently got up and decided to quickly change seeing as though the only other person in the room with me was dead asleep. After doing so, I walked over to Freddie and lightly pressed my lips against his forehead before sneaking downstairs and grabbing my car keys and laptop for another long day.

 Freddie POV

 My sleepy eyes fluttered open, and I reached out to wrap my arm around Mia only to not find her next to me. It was a Monday, so my thoughts were she probably went to school.  I frowned sadly, wishing I could have at least said goodbye and see her off. I sat up and stretched and as I turned to one side to crack my back I noticed a piece of paper folded neatly on her pillow. My hand grabbed it and my fingers gently flattened it back out to read its contents.

 Freddie,

I’ve gone to school, and Ellie’s at work. You’ll have your bandmates to keep you company until we get home I guess. I promise as soon as I get home we can spend some alone time together… (; If there’s absolutely ANY problems, please call me or Ellie. Our numbers are taped to the wall beside the telephone.

Love,

Mia

 I smiled and set the note down on the night stand. I couldn’t help but think of the things we could do when Mia got home. My feet met the floor and took me downstairs into the kitchen. There was no one in the living room when I passed through, and there was no one in the kitchen either. My bandmates were always late-risers so I wasn’t too surprised to see the house empty. I searched the cabinets for a tea kettle and, upon finding one, set it on the stove. It was going to be a while before the kettle whistled, so I went in the sitting room and studied my surroundings to pass the time. It looked the same as it usually did; the couch was set up against the wall with a loveseat and recliner on either side. A coffee table sat in the middle, cluttered with different magazines. A chuckle escaped my lips as I remembered the other day when Brian asked Ellie if she ever tried any of the sex tips in the Cosmopolitan he had in his hands. My eyes travelled over to the bookshelf next to the television that I hadn’t quite noticed before. I strolled over to the mahogany case and scanned the book titles with interest. Most of the extensive collection had to be Mia’s if you take into consideration that I couldn’t remember ever seeing Ellie pick up a single book our entire stay here. Some of it didn’t surprise me; among the occasional encyclopedia were a few romance novels which Mia was a fan of, and the rest were biographies, music books, cook books, and novels of other genres. I was about to turn away when a certain book from the very top shelf caught my eye.

It was a book with my name on its spine.

Curiously, I shimmied the hardcover out of its place and carried it over to the couch. I sat down and studied the cover carefully. With total honesty I looked pretty good, if not better, for looking a bit older. My back was turned, adorned with a regal cape, and on top of my head was a king’s crown. My dark hair was trimmed short and above my lip laid a thick mustache. It was a bit strange also to see myself so different, but nevertheless I cracked open the book and skimmed through the table of contents.

Early Life, Education, Smile, Queen years, Illness and Death, Legacy

My eyes paused at the second to last chapter, making sure I had read it right. I tried to reassure myself.