Chapter 8

Ye Olde Bookshop.

It was centuries old, but Kayla loved driving downtown to go there anyways.

It was a quaint, dusty little bookshop wedged between a bank and a corporate sky scraper. Across the street was a fancy macaroon eatery and tea shop.

Kayla loved buying old literature classics and just reading them in the veranda with a small box of macaroons and a cup of tea.

She was an old soul. No wonder he hated change.

The bell clang when she entered, and Cedric, the shop keeper, smiled at her. He was a man in his 20s, and he was handsome too. Except for that blonde ponytail. She hated it when guys sported ponytails.

Kayla walked to the back of the shop and scanned the political section. Then she gasped when she found it.

It was a copy of Washington's New World Order.

"Looks like you beat me to it," said a voice behind her.

Kayla gasped and turned to the boy behind her.

He was extremely good looking, and under that polo he wore were impeccable muscles and a tan sculpted body that indicated a lifetime dedicated to outdoor endeavors.

Everything was perfect about him; his arresting eyes and his brunette hair... but there was something in his grin that hinted a trace of arrogance, as if the world has yet to say thank you.

"Hi..." Kayla said breathlessly.

"Did I scare you?" He asked, amused.

"No, I just... Sorry."

She turned away and continued walking.

"Wait!" The boy chased after her. "Do.. Do you know where I can find another copy of that?"

"I don't know," Kayla said irritably. "I don't work here."

The boy stood back, impressed.

"A little feisty now, are we?"

Kayla rolled her eyes and fought her way out, but he had her cornered at the back of the bookstore, his arms pinning her on both sides.

"The owner said there was only one copy," he licked his white teeth devilishly. Kayla gulped.

"I guess. There's always Amazon.co-"

"No one has time for that," he shook away her comment with a wave of his hand.

Kayla looked at him incredulously.

"How about we share that book later on over a cup of tea and a fresh batch of French macaroons?" he asked with a coy smile. It was as if he read her mind.

"Come on, my treat, since you're already paying for the book. Call it a date."

Kayla felt a smile creep up her lips. "You're unbelievable. Why did you say your name was again?"

"I didn't. But it's Dean Richardson. And you? I'm guessing you're like a... Marina?"

"Kayla," she replied with a smile. Then a revelation hit her. "Dean Richardson?? As in Robert Richardson's son, you're the Senator's son?"

The boy, Dean, smiled. "The one and only."

Kayla couldn't believe her outcome of events. With a smile, she led him to the front of the bookstore. This was gonna be a fun date.