[07]- Chapter Seven

Start from the beginning

“She’s McKenzie,” Dean told her as he pointed at me. “A girl from my chemistry class.”

“Oh, hi McKenzie!” May greeted me with a toothy smile. “Can you please tell my brother to buy me skittles?”

I giggled and turned to Dean. “Let this sweet and innocent child buy some skittles.” Adding a pout, Dean laughed and I was shocked as two very cute dimples appeared on his cheeks. He actually laughed?

“Fine” He sighed and as he turned, he grabbed a bag of skittles, and added this to the cart.

“Why do you do everything she says?” May wondered. “Is she your girlfriend?”

Dean rolled his eyes at her but looked slightly amused. “No, she’s not. I just—I don’t want to hear you begging me any longer okay.”

I laughed, May was too cute. “It was nice meeting you.” I told her once I realized it was my turn. “Hopefully, I’ll see you soon!”

“Okay bye but it has to be soon since I’m dy—

Dean immediately put his hands over May’s mouth and his eyes became very sad and a bit upset. I tilted my head to the side, why was he so upset? What was May going to say? I knew it had something to do with her having Cancer though, it was obvious. “Bye McKenzie.” Dean said to me with nothing lingering in his voice but hurt.

I wanted to comfort him but he and May already walked away. I sighed; maybe this is why Dean acts this way. Turning towards the cashier, I paid for all of my items and headed out of the store. I tried my best to keep smiling but I kept thinking about Dean’s hurt voice and his sad eyes.

What was going on with him?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

As soon as I got dressed, I put on some light foundation, mascara, blush, and eye shadow. I also pulled my dark brown hair into a messy bun and once I was satisfied with my appearance, my phone rang. Picking my phone up, I grinned. It was Kale, butterflies roamed my stomach and nervous chills fell through my spine. But I told myself to be calm just like I was when we were both at Sunni’s Sundaes.

Answering the phone, I said, “Hello?”

“Hi McKenzie, are you ready? I’m outside.”

“Yeah, I’m ready.” I replied back to him shyly as I felt my cheeks heat up. “I’ll be right out.”

“Okay, see you then.” Kale said and with that, he hung up. I grabbed one of my purses from my closet and threw my cell phone inside along with my other personal belongings. Once I was finished, I took a deep breath as a slight blush heated up my cheeks. The butterflies were still roaming my stomach.

Opening up the door, I walked out of the room and onto the hallway with nervous chills suddenly creeping down my spine. It’ll be fine, it’s just a movie. With that, I took a deep breath and slowly let my nervousness fade. My parents were still working but I thought that I should let them know I’m leaving anyway.

Approaching their bedroom, I knocked on the door and my mom answered immediately. “McKenzie, your Dad and I are—

“Conducting business right now, I know.” I finished with an annoyed sigh. “I just wanted to let you know that I’m going to the movies with a friend.”

“Okay have fun.” My mom said and then she shut the door in my face. Sighing, I brushed it off and walked towards the door. Taking the keys off of the key rack, I opened the door and locked it behind me.

I smiled as soon as I saw Kale’s familiar BMV and waved at him. He got out of the car and waved back at me. I blushed, he looked well…stunning. His tousled hair was slicked back and he wore a white tee with a cute denim jacket and topped it with H&M jeans. “Hi McKenzie, you look cute.” Kale greeted me with a smile.