Chapter 14

• Dedicated to Apple Head

"Happy New Year!" screamed Shauna directly into Jan's ear.

The noise sent waves of pain crashing throughout Jan's head, almost causing her to throw the phone and pray it landed softly.

In a hushed, hangover-appropriate tone she whispered, "Ditto."

This is the worst morning of my life, she thought as she rubbed her aching temples. Why, why, why did I drink that much? I didn't know I could drink that much.

If she didn't die of alcohol poisoning first, she was going to kill Juan, then Lisa, then Becki, then... hmm? There was someone else, but she couldn't remember who.

"And Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanza, Winter Solstice, Chanukah, et cetera," Shauna continued in her cheery, "nice Shauna" voice.

Jan smiled. This Christmas had been the best Christmas of her life, and she had gotten to spend it with her friends. Although Juan's invitation to spend Christmas at the Mirón household had been sincere, Jan had not felt comfortable with the idea. At first she thought it was odd that she had sought to spend past holidays with her boyfriends' families and yet would feel weird spending the holiday with a male friend. Then she asked herself if she had really had that much fun with her boyfriends and remembered that she had been extremely uncomfortable. The families had acted like sororities that would never accept her and her boyfriends had for the most part ignored her. Considering she had mostly invited herself, she couldn't altogether blame them.

She did not think that Juan's family would be anything unwelcoming, but they did not know her and were probably more interested in catching up with family than talking to the guest. Instead, she had opted to accept Lisa's invitation. Spending Christmas morning with Lisa and her parents, and the rest of the day with Lisa and Becki, had been a lot more fun than Thanksgiving with Nichole. Jan was still feeling relieved and grateful that Becki had forgiven her in the spirit of the season.

"Happy all those things to you too," Jan responded. "What did you do for New Year's?" she asked Shauna, though she was really asking herself. She couldn't remember much of her night.

"Meditated," Shauna answered, then switched gears into her "evil Shauna" voice. This tone had the power to make Jan sit up straighter and draw in her abs. "You know, you haven't come in for a session in a while. If you don't get back into the routine soon, you will undo all the progress you've made. Your body won't stop storing fat just because of the holidays. Now, I know you're on break from school so there shouldn't be anything keeping you from scheduling a session. I'd like to see you no later than Tuesday, okay?"

Jan considered revealing to Shauna the sad truth that actually she did have something that might conflict with training, besides a lack of funds. As of three weeks ago, she had started working as a dog bather at a small grooming salon in Pacific Beach. Jan found the entire situation too embarrassing for words and figured what Shauna didn't know wouldn't hurt her. The only two people she had told were Lisa and Becki. She had needed Lisa's help to prep for the interview. Becki had been told because she lived close to the salon and had been the one to get Jan the application.

"Tuesday's fine," Jan said. "But I'll have to call you later to schedule a time. I'm not sure what my plans are that day."

Shauna scoffed. Jan knew that Shauna trusted her to call about as far as she could throw her. Maybe less.

"I'll call you tomorrow morning then. I'm sure I'll have some appointment times for Tuesday still available. Quite a few of my clients will still be out of town on vacation, no doubt kicking back, pigging out, and wondering why they're gaining weight."

Jan nodded, realized Shauna couldn't see her, and said, "Idiots."

Shauna laughed. "You said it, not me. Talk to you tomorrow. Enjoy the rest of your day."