Chapter 15

• Dedicated to Alex Cord

Chapter 15

"Why, you little bitch!" Jan screamed at the pint-sized devil dog sitting in front of her. Jan had managed to keep her negative thoughts to herself until the second time Princess had bitten her. Now she was majorly pissed off. The first bite happened when she had tried to pick Princess up and carry her to the bathing area. She had been gentle with Princess, just like she always was with the dogs, but the little prima donna wasn't in the mood for her bath.

Princess had struck again when Jan had put her hand in front of her face to ensure that the dog wouldn't get water in her eyes as she had hosed her down.

"Prissy my ass," Jan humphed.

"Yip!" the rat-dog barked defiantly. She glared at Jan from inside the industrial-sized sink as if to say, "Come closer and say that again."

Jan was not about to be told off by an eight-pound Pomeranian with an attitude problem, but couldn't think of anything she could do about it that wouldn't hurt the pooch. She finally settled for sticking out her tongue. She checked that Princess' leash was secured to the clip at the bottom of the sink that prevented her from jumping out, and then walked out of the room to retrieve the first aid kit.

Damn dog probably has rabies, Jan thought. It'll serve Mike right if I drop dead because his stupid mom didn't vaccinate her stupid dog.

When she came back into the bathing room, Princess was hanging over the edge of the sink by her leash. Her tiny feet were inches from the floor. Jan squeaked with fear and ran to help the dog before she suffocated on the leash. She scooped the attempted escapee up and delicately placed her back in the sink. The dog didn't move. Jan frantically tried to think of a way to give a dog CPR.

"Come on, Princess, breathe," she begged. "Please, please, please be okay."

Princess opened her eyes, took a deep breath as requested, and began yelping like crazy.

Jan was so relieved she slipped Princess' head out of her leash and hugged her to her chest.

"Ow!" Jan screamed and nearly dropped the royal pain on her ass.

Princess had indeed bitten her again.

"I saved your life and this is how you repay me?"

Jan shoved the dog into a cage and went to get a muzzle.

"Figures," she muttered to herself. "She is a Harris."

When Jan returned with the muzzle, Princess was cowering in her cage without a hint of bravado and whining like a little girly dog — which she was.

Jan felt instantly guilty for every mean thought she'd had about the dog.

Jan coaxed Princess out of her cage with a dog biscuit and an apology.

"Come here, pretty girl. I won't hurt you," she said in a cutesy voice reserved strictly for babies, animals, and immature boyfriends.

Princess was a model participant for the remainder of the bathing process. She submitted to being wet down again, covered in soap, and rinsed clean. She even behaved while having her teeth brushed. She didn't yelp once. She didn't bite either. Jan was convinced that the pup's near-death experience had mellowed her. Telling herself that made her feel slightly less like pond scum for leaving her alone in the tub.

This, however, did nothing to boost Jan's confidence for surviving a humiliating encounter with the ex. She tried to lose herself in her work and groomed the hell out of Princess.

By the time Mike came to pick up his puppy, Princess had been brushed to perfection, had her nails trimmed and painted pink, and had a tiny, pink bow on top of her head. She looked ready to win a dog show.