Chapter 13

• Dedicated to Christine Bibawi

A scraping sound like a boot brushing against a wall in the hallway was Jan's cue to drop what she was doing and run to her peephole. She got there just in time to see any empty hallway. Jan's shoulders slumped. She'd been wanting to apologize for days but she didn't have the courage to knock on Lisa's door. A "chance" encounter in the hallway was her best bet if she wanted to make up with her friend.

It had been five days since Jan had seen either Becki's or Lisa's face, though she'd seen Lisa's rear end a few times disappearing into her apartment. Jan wasn't sure why Lisa was so upset, but she knew there must have been more to it than what had happened the other night. It wasn't like Lisa to hold a grudge, and she had never avoided Jan before.

Even a dismal Thanksgiving dinner with Nichole and her parents hadn't been enough to distract Jan from her feelings of guilt, not to mention abandonment. And no amount of bitching to Nichole would silence Jan's conscience.

Half-written apology notes were strewn all over the apartment: on top of the bills on her desk, on the kitchen counters, even on her bed. She'd been trying to find the words to explain her reaction to Becki's backseat confession, but so far everything she had put on paper added up to excuses. Lisa was too smart for Jan to fool with bullshit.

She walked over to the peephole again and made a random hallway check. Empty. Jan sighed and turned to walk away.

Creeeak. Jan whipped her head back around and checked the hall again. She saw a miniature Lisa tiptoeing out of her apartment and heading toward the stairs.

Jan threw open the door and pounced on her quarry.

"Lisa!" Jan practically screamed with joy. She swallowed her enthusiasm and tried again, in a more natural tone. She didn't want to frighten her prey.

"How are you?"

"Fine."

Jan waited for an elaboration. Lisa wasn't rude enough to speak to Jan without saying at least two words to her.

"You?" Word number two.

"I'm okay," Jan said. She shifted from side to side on her feet like a child waiting to be busted for cutting class.

Jan gathered her courage and stopped fidgeting. She asked the question she really wanted to ask, "How's Becki?"

"She's devastated, but recovering quickly. She's been hurt, Jan, very deeply. But she'll get over it." Lisa stuck her chin out as if daring Jan to contradict her.

Jan very much doubted Becki's recovery. Who would ever truly get over something like that?

On the other hand, if Becki was really okay, then Jan was off the hook.

"So, that's great then." Jan flashed a cheesy grin at Lisa. "Right?"

"Sure," Lisa said, sounding anything but. "I've got to go."

Go? Jan panicked.

"Wait!" She reached after Lisa as if to grab her and force her to stay.

Lisa had already turned around and taken a step away, thereby moving her body out of Jan's reach. Jan's exclamation stopped her. The tightness in Jan's chest eased a little at the sight of Lisa waiting as requested.

"What, Jan? What?" Lisa spun around, her face contorted in rage as she all but screamed at Jan.

A door at the end of the hall opened and a woman's head popped out. She looked the two over, scented the air, and ducked back into her apartment. No sane woman would get in the middle of a chick fight. It was a good way to get one's eyes scratched out.