I'll just ask Lisa where to go, she decided morosely. I'm sure she's not doing anything important. Jan got up to grab her running shoes and a bottle of Smart water from the twenty-pack in the fridge before heading out the door. She didn't want Lisa to come with her, but figured that she was a frequent gym-goer, Lisa would know where people bought workout gear. Jan would invite her but didn't want to deal with Lisa's asinine suggestions, like buying bargain-brand clothes or wearing old sweats and a T-shirt.

Bang, bang, bang. Jan knocked loudly, taking out her anger on the door.

Immediately, the door swung open.

"Hi," said not-Lisa.

"Hi there... Becki," replied Jan in surprise. She checked the apartment number on the door. Hmm, definitely Lisa's. Jan tried to imagine why Becki would be at Lisa's. She could not imagine the two becoming friends behind her back.

Oh god. What if Becki is some kind of crazy lesbian stalker that's after Lisa?

Jan took a step back.

"Hey," Lisa said as she materialized next to Becki. "Are you okay? You look pale."

"I'm fine," Jan snapped. "Are you okay?" She asked nodding her head slightly to indicate Becki.

"Yeah. Becki and I were just studying."

Jan wasn't sure she believed her. Becki did not seem like a studier.

"Okay, well I was on my way to buy workout clothes and I wondered..."

"I can't go," Lisa interrupted her. "We've got tons of work left to do and then we're heading to a movie."

Jan's mouth dropped open. She could believe that Lisa might be tutoring Becki but was dumbfounded that Lisa would voluntarily socialize with someone so... cheerful.

"Actually," Jan began haughtily, drawing herself up to her full height so she towered over the two brunettes, "Nichole and I were wondering if you knew of any stores that were having a sale on fitness apparel. She's coming by soon to help me." Ha. I wasn't going to invite you and I'm being thrifty.

"That's great, Jan. So, you're taking my advice and joining a gym?"

Jan readied a good sneer and was just about to correct Lisa that it had been her dad's idea when Jan remembered that actually Lisa had been the one to suggest it first.

"Yes, well. I thought it was time, you know. My massage training is progressing to some pretty demanding stuff, physically, and my teacher suggested we all try to get in the best shape possible." Sounds plausible.

"So, really, it was my teacher that inspired me." Jan knew she sounded stupid, but she couldn't help herself. Lisa actually wanted to spend time with Becki more than her. It was too depressing for words.

Lisa congratulated Jan and gave her the names of some nearby sporting goods stores with reasonable prices. There was actually a Big 5 right down the street on College Avenue. Lisa said they usually had sales and a decent selection. All Jan heard was "right down the street."

Jan thanked Lisa, wished them both luck studying, and headed to her car.

As Jan walked out of the front entrance to her building she realized that neither of the girls had commented on her hair. She decided not to feel bad. The style must be too progressive for them to appreciate.

She should actually take it as a compliment. Reluctantly, she admitted it still hurt.

The first thing Jan noticed as she walked into Big 5 was that it wasn't very big. She was thinking warehouse or department store size. It was called Big 5, not Average 5.