My eyebrows rose at his sentence. I don’t dream of him, I have nightmares of my own life. ‘Too bad Gordon, looks like you need to keep on searching because I don’t recall dreaming of you at all. I remember having nightmares about you,’ I retorted back at him, rolling my eyes at his confidence, a secret smile etching their way on my lips before I turned my back on him.

It always has been like this for four years.

Our team hated each other and the only way we were allowed to speak was to openly criticise each other. He started it when we were freshmen, calling me, teasing me and singling me out whenever we passed in the hallways. I only had one class that I shared with him and so far, I had stayed far away from him, only observing him from afar. I was glad that I had a class with him despite it being only an hour but it was enough.

I mean we liked each other, it was plain obvious.

It’s just that thanks to our teams being enemies, we couldn’t do anything about it. We’d both get into trouble. I didn’t know why Blake announced to everyone that he loved me during junior year but I was glad that he felt the same way as I did. But everything crashed when my then captain and co-captain made the rivalry even worse, working me harder than everyone because I happen to ‘harbour’ feelings for the ‘enemy’.

I had hated that and what’s with my broken family; I had brought down that hate to the person who got me into this. Blake. I started openly criticizing him, calling him names and bringing my anger on him. I made a front that I hated him just to let the captains know that I had nothing on him anymore so that they released their wrath on me but as I turned sophomore, I hated what I was doing to him.

I knew that I was going to be captain once they graduate so I was glad that my tirade on him would be over soon. I stopped tormenting him, stopped criticizing but still kept up with the teasing because that was the only way I could talk to him without sounding suspicious under my then seniors’ eyes. I wasn’t strong then, I couldn’t fight them.

That I had to admit.

I let out a sigh wishing when my life would be as simple as reading or singing. Why can’t it be simple for once? I’d be happy to follow if I know how things will turn out later. I turned a corner and slipped into the first classroom on the right. I greeted my friends and continued to the back of the classroom, looking dejected at the empty seat beside mine. I miss Mitchie.

I really do.

I was early for lunch today, class had ended early and I was seated on my usual table alone with my food in front of me. I dropped my bag onto the seat beside me and started shovelling food into my mouth as I was too hungry to wait for the rest of the team to arrive. I was staring listlessly into space, minding my own business when a tray dropped in front of me making me choke at the person who was standing in front of me.

Blake.

‘Hey Angel,’ he greeted me casually like as if it was normal for him to just come here and his smirk grew wider at my choking. I coughed and took deep breaths before gulping down water to clear my airways. ‘I hope you don’t mind me sitting here with you because my table is full.’