12 ↠ lingering

I dropped the notebook and instantly shot up from the couch, heading towards my room.

"Kat?" Noah asked as he stood as well. "What's wrong?"

"Come with me," I said as I rushed upstairs. Noah hurried behind me.

"What's going on?" he asked as soon as we stepped into my room. I explained the entire scavenger hunt to him, even pulling all the notes out of my drawer to show him.

"I thought you put it together, but this isn't your handwriting," I said, dropping the notes on the floor.

"Who else would... Oh," Noah said as it dawned on him. "It's Corey."

"I don't know why he's doing this, but he wants me to meet him at the Vet's center at eight tomorrow night," I sighed. "Also, how the hell did he get into my room?"

"How did he even get on campus?" he asked.

"All of this is just so creepy," I replied before falling back against my bed. "I just need him to leave and never come back."

"You need to tell someone about this," he said. "Maybe they can help out so no one, especially you, gets hurt."

I bit my lip and thought for a minute. "I think I have an idea."

"Are you effing crazy?" Bridget exclaimed when we told her and Ethan about the plan. "You're acting crazier than Corey is! He could hurt you!"

"He's not going to," I said, my attempt at calming her down. "Trust me on this."

"You're letting her do this?" she asked, turning on Noah.

"What other choice do we have?" he replied.

"Um, you tell the school about it and leave it for them to deal with," Ethan suggested.

"Then they'll just escort him out, call his parents, and he'll be able to do it even more," I explained. "Plus, it'll give me a chance to talk to him."

-

"You're insane," Abby said the next day at lunch. "You're asking for trouble."

"Okay, so it's not my best idea but what choice do I have?" I retorted. "In eight hours, I have to deal with the one person I really don't want to deal with."

"Just, don't be stupid. Please," she said.

"I won't," I said as I gave her a hug. "Love you girl."

"Crazy." she whispered, and I couldn't help but crack a smile.

-

That night, I looked into the mirror and sighed. I was a good student, I stayed out of trouble. So why was all this trouble being brought to me? I guess some of it's my fault, because I didn't listen to Noah's original warning about Corey, and I let myself stay in a relationship that wasn't good for me.

"Kat?" Noah said as he gently pushed the door open. "It's almost time."

"I know," I sighed. "Let's hope this works."

Five minutes later, I stood alone behind the vet's clinic, standing inside the ring of light the fog light gave off.

"Well, well, well," I heard, the familiar voice making my skin shoot up with goosebumps. "She figured the riddle out."

Corey stepped out of the shadows, clothed in all black.

"What do you want, Corey?" I asked sharply. This whole set up was creepy, and I wanted to leave.

"I just want to talk," he said, and for a moment I could've sworn he felt bad. "I need to apologize. I-I didn't mean to hurt you. My ego got too big and I just exploded. And I took it out on you."

"How the hell do you expect me to accept that apology?" I asked. "I gave you chance after chance, and it tore me apart. So, no Corey, apology not accepted. Not coming from someone as self-centered as you."

"Look, I'm trying my hardest here!" he pleaded. "I've snuck onto campus at least twice just to be able to talk to you. I had to come up with clues to get your attention, and I had to hack the lock on the dorm door to get in. Twice!"

"Is that supposed to be heartfelt?" I laughed, but I felt an uneasy twinge in my stomach. "You're psycho!"

Just then, we got surrounded by police officers. "Freeze! You are under arrest for trespassing! You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of law..."

Corey's face dropped as his hands were brought behind his back and restrained by the silver cuffs. As he was led away by the officers, I let my cocky facade fall, and I slid down the wall, landing in a heap on the ground.

"Kat, what's wrong?" Noah asked as he rushed over to me.

"He was pretty much stalking me," I shuttered. "Breaking into the school, picking the dorm locks... Because of me."

"Kat, you did nothing wrong," he said, helping me up. "C'mon, let's get back to the dorm."

Sorry it's been so long since I've updated! I'm so busy with school work (even tho its summer)