Craigh Na Dun

At dinner that night, Miss Creag made stew and bread. My father drank his whisky and I sipped the sherry that I had been served. Miss Creag was a fine and cook, despite what the farmer had said, and nearly 60. The must have been attractive in her youth, and she had a warmth about her.

That night we spoke off Celtic mythology. Nordic Mythology and such...

"And she is the deity of war?" My father asked on the subject of gods and goddesses.

"Aye, she is." Miss Creag answered.

"Hmmm but then-"

"-have you considered visiting the stone-henge? Craigh Na dun?" Miss Creag was clearly tired as I was by my fathers curiosity. I was too, but on a morale level.

"Yes, actually. I hear it's very interesting." He replied, hooked on information.

"Tis', the Druid women of the village will be going up there tonight. It being Samhain and all."

"Witches..." my dad whispered to me, winking.

"Samhain? That's known as Halloween this day and age?" I asked finishing my drink.

"Mhmm. It's a pagan holiday."

"Ye know what they say about the stone circle on Halloween." She stated, strangely dismal.

"Let me guess. Ghosts? Demons? Sacrifices? The paranormal?"

"-what do the women do?" My dad asked cutting me out.

"Well they dance and light lanterns." She quickly answered.

"What did you mean about the stone circle on Halloween?-" I questioned.

"And they dance? What to? Jazz?" My dad cut me off again. I quietly sighed.

"They do the dance of the druids." She then went to answer my question.

"But-"

"Dad! Um, may I be excused I'm very tired. I grew frustrated at him speaking over me and I went to get up. The two adults stopped and looked at me

"Goodnight, papa. Goodnight, Miss Creag."

I went to leave.

"Britannia."Miss Creag quickly stopped me.

I turned around.

"There's a book I think you may like, in tha' bookcase. The red one, third shelf down. I think you'd ought read page 167." She said, tinting apologetically.

"Thank you. I will, goodnight." I smiled and left, closing the door behind me.

I walked through the reception and past the desk to the bookshelf. I twisted the small key and opened the glass. It was pitch black outside other than the moon which was full and glowing. It was eerie that Halloween night.

I looked at the third shelve down and found the book she was talking about. It was the only red one and had a leather front. It was titled "Stone Circles of Europe."

I took the book, closed the glass and frightfully tip-toed to my room. I kindled the candles and lanterns inside and took the book before sitting on my bed.
Opening it, dust fell lightly and I smoothed my hand over it a few times before blowing on it. I saw a green tartan blanket at the end of my bed and wrapped it around myself.