Chapter 24: Kei Valancia

"Your dog may have a plane princess, but I have a portal," - Titus Alaric

~~~~~~~~~~

"You animal," I screeched. "You shot me in the back!"

"This is free-for-all Luna. Show no mercy," Kasey grinned at me evilly from beside me.

"We called a truce, for crying out loud." She shrugged unapologetically.

"To be fair, it was down to us two. Did you want me to go easy on you?" She laughed at my immature pout.

"No," I muttered reluctantly. "I would have been more upset if you had done that." Her smile turned teasing and knowing.

"I figured. So I unleashed my full powers on you just so that you wouldn't feel too bad." I rolled my eyes at her ridiculous explanation.

"Jeremy, remind me to never play with her ever again. I hate this game," I placed the controller on the table and glared at her playfully.

"So does every person who plays against her," he said distractedly, his thumbs a blur on the screen of his phone. "By the way, we should start preparing to leave soon. It's ten til five and I imagine that Alpha should be getting back soon. I assume that's when we'll head out to meet your long lost cousin, so to speak."

I stood to stretch and nodded. "Sounds like a good idea. In the meantime I'm going to get something to drink. Do you guys need anything?"

"No, I'll go get it. It would make me look bad if my Luna got me a drink." Kasey dropped her controller instantly and stood. I put a hand on her shoulder and pushed down lightly.

"Don't worry about it. I was also going to raid the pantry anyway. Keep kicking some virtual ass." She still looked hesitant to do so, but picked the controller up as I requested. However, she didn't even start playing again as I left to go to the kitchen. "And I am never playing with her ever again," I muttered as I entered the kitchen.

"She is pretty savage, isn't she?" A delicate voice shattered my pouty thoughts. My head snapped to the right to see a girl about my age sitting on a barstool at the bar. I felt my heart stutter in surprise before racing again. Seeing the surprise on my face, she smiled apologetically at me. "Did I scare you? I'm sorry, I'm not quite used to meeting someone who can see the dead."

The girl smiled sweetly, her porcelain skin clear and smooth of any blemishes as her stick straight brown hair hung down to her upper back, her dark brown eyes twinkling with humor. I took note of her attire and found that she was dressed quite modernly. She wore a loose gray shirt paired with a faded jean jacket. Black skinny jeans and worn white sneakers finished the assaumble and I could not help but think that I wished I had half the fashion sense of this girl than anything.

"It's all right. I'm not used to seeing the dead." I gave her a small smile and tried to calm my racing heart. "I've experienced this before, but I think no matter what I won't be able to get used to it." The girl simply smiled kindly at me.

"I expected much. However, this is something that you must acclimate yourself to." She casually swiveled herself in the chair to face me, and I caught a glimpse of a shimmer surrounding her as she did.

"I'm Nadia. Resident ghost and extreme people watcher at your service." She bowed her head mockingly and giggled. I did not join her and instead I smirked and went to join her, feeling an electric oldness as I pulled out the stool next to her.

"People watcher, huh?" She nodded and smiled, her teeth perfect and white.

"Yep. I'm really good at people watching. Some could even say that I'm a master," she whispered conspiratorially. I leaned even closer, our noses almost touching. It was strange, I could clearly see her but I could not feel her breath nor any sort of body heat. Instead all I felt was a slight chill and a sort of electricity that danced lightly on my skin. It was slightly disorienting to my psyche.