TA 38

Riley's POV

"Margaret! Mom, we have to go", I yelled as soon as I walked into the house I'd called home for 18 years.

Margaret was lying on the couch, with her legs hanging off like she was afraid she'd get it dirty. She seemed fast asleep.

"Mom!" I shouted again.

The sound of my voice startled her. She woke up and almost climbed over the couch to get away from me.

"It's me. It's Riley", I assured.

"Oh oh, thank goodness. I thought it was Isandro coming to get me", she said. You could still see the fear on her face. Clearly the thought of Isandro capturing her again horrified her.

"We have to go. We don't have much time", I said.

"Where are we going?"

"The Darkeners have Casey...my friend. I need to get him back. I can't leave you here alone knowing they are here on earth. Some are bound to come to this house", I said quickly.

"They have your friend? Oh my god!" she said. "I knew it was a bad idea..."

I had just heard about enough. I was wasting time being there when I knew Casey was in danger. I had to find him before I lost the scent. I grabbed mom's hand and instantly transmitted us to a little outside Casey's house. As predicted, the place was swarming with police. I wouldn't have been there if I had a choice, but I needed to follow Casey's scent and this was where it started.

Mom looked at me, looking for an answer as to what happened.

"The house where the police cars are is Casey's house. I got there and found two Darkeners in his room. One was dead and the other unconscious. Casey was nowhere to be found," I explained. "I need to get hold of his scent and follow it to where he is".

She nodded. I was glad there were no protests and crazy behavior. Being on earth was doing her good, though she did look at things like she'd never seen them before.

I left mom on the side of the road and walked over to Casey's driveway, staying in the darkness. I focused hard on the area around me, trying to see it through Casey's eyes. For me following a scent didn't necessarily mean I could smell better than the average human being. It meant I could sense people. That allowed me to figure out where they were.

I could sense Casey in the driveway, and almost immediately, I sensed him move. In my head I could see a dark quiet road. I went over to my mom and grabbed her hand, instantly transmitting us to that dark quiet road.

It went like that for some time. I instantly transmitted to a place I saw in my mind's eye, and when we got there I got another clue. With every place we went, I could sense Casey stronger than before. That meant we were getting closer.

"Ouch", mom cried and stopped walking.

We were treading inside a thick jungle now, where the grass reached our waists. Mom had cried out for the second time since we entered that part of my visions. The first time she'd stepped on a sharp rock.

Admittedly, it was uncomfortable walking in there, but we had no choice. Until I got a vision of where Casey had passed next, we couldn't go anywhere.

"Another rock?" I asked.

"A thorn", she replied. "I'm fine, don't worry".

"I am starting to worry. I can't sense Casey", I said. "We've been walking in here for about a minute now".

"Just...concentrate", she offered.

"That's what..." I said and stopped immediately when I got a vision. It wasn't clear at first but I managed to get a good view of a cabin surrounded by tall trees.