TA 21

Casey's POV

I had no idea what I was doing. I actually wished I was in my room and Riley was gone. Instead, he was there and I was holding his hand. I could not let go and at that moment I hated myself. More seconds passed.

I felt a tugging. Oh God, his hand wanted to be free and I was holding on to him. I felt something like a squeeze. He was not letting go, he was squeezing my hand. A tiny macaw fluttered in my time. Yeah, a macaw, butterflies were so overrated, and I was sure no one had ever felt what I was feeling at that moment.

Riley smiled, stealing my heart once more. He had the most enchanting smile. I prayed to the heavens he did not leave. He would surely break my heart if he did. Before I could predict his move, he moved his free hand touch my cheek. His hand was so cold it sent chills down my spine. I took a deep breath, an invisible force had me rooted to the ground. His hand trailed down to my mouth. I was certain that was not what friends did.

"Riley..." I mouthed.

I had no idea what I was going to say. The only thing I had an idea about was how I was feeling. This moment of uncertainty, I wanted it. His hand in mine, his hand on my cheek, the little smile on his face, I wanted it. The silence too was beautiful. But those weren't the only things I wanted. I wanted more.

I selfishly wanted more.

"I should be leaving", Riley said.

"I know", I said clearly.

"Casey..." he said. His voice sounded strained.

I let go of his hand slowly. I didn't want to do that. I had to. He had to leave before I did something I would regret.

Even though I let go of his hand, the tension between us didn't disappear. It seemed to be getting stronger. It was like neither of us was prepared to walk away from the other. Where was Calvin when I needed him? Although if Calvin walked in on that scene I'd never hear the end of it. If anyone walked in on the scene I'd never hear the end of it.

It was up to me to break the spell without making things awkward.

"You walked h–" I never got to finish.

I didn't even see what happened. One moment Riley was just looking at me and the next I could feel his lips against mine. I was stunned for a bit, but that disappeared quite quickly. His lips lay still on mine for a few seconds, as if he was asking for permission.

I wanted to tell him no. I wanted to tell him he was my best friend; his girlfriend was my friend. The words wouldn't come out.

His hand trailed down my cheek when his lips decided to move. I moved mine with him, fully knowing I ought to pull back. The macaw was going crazy. The kiss was seducing all my senses. The hesitancy disappeared. Riley's lips were so warm, despite how cold most of his skin felt.

He moved his other hand to cup my face, as if to position me right before he took my breath away. The kiss was no longer soft and comforting. It was fiery and passionate. I could taste him, smell his scent. I thought I knew the inner makings of this guy, but I knew not his lips.

I knew the one spot that had him giggling like a kid. I knew his dreams. I knew his words, his laugh. I didn't know he could kiss me and obliterate every thought in my mind. I didn't know his lips could have me drunk with endorphins. I didn't for a second want it to end.

As if on cue, Riley's head pulled back slightly and his lips left mine. His hands didn't leave my face as he rested his forehead gently on mine. I could hear him breathing.