The Unexpected

I opened my eyes and the first thing I saw was Emmett seated on the couch facing my bed.

Immediately I remembered the white things that poked out of his teeth.

I scooted backwards in my bed.

"Are you afraid of me?" He asked.

I shook my head and unfortunately, it was true.

Emmett just showed me that he was in fact not human, he showed me that someone 'like him' killed my boyfriend and stupidly, I wasn't afraid.

"You should be." He said.

I took in a deep breath trying to steady my breathing.

"I still see you as a being capable of talking, walking, caring-"

"How do you know that I am capable of caring about anyone?" He snapped.

I could tell that he was trying to scare me but I just couldn't be afraid. Everything in my body told me not to fear for some reason.

"Because you saved me more than once." I said matter of factly. "You care."

He didn't say anything and we sat in silence for a while with me just staring at him.

I finally got the courage to speak.

"Emmett... what... what are you?"

He gave me a smirk. "I would tell you but I don't think you can handle it."

I pouted and folded my arms across my chest stubbornly.

"Of course I can! I'm not a child!" I whined.

He surprised me by chuckling. "So far you've passed out twice when faced with something.... not exactly 'ordinary'."

I figured I probably fainted after he showed me his fangs, he must have carried me back to my room.

I wonder how he got past my dad.

I looked at the digital clock by my bedside and it read 5.55am.

"At least give me a... title."

"A title?" He asked.

"Like a name, what are you called?" I hoped my question didn't come out too rudely.

He smirked. "I think you already know."

I looked down and played with my hands. His gaze was so intimidating.

A vampire. I was in the same room as a freaking vampire.

If this wasn't crazy, I didn't know what was.

"So you..."

"Drink blood? Yes but my family drinks animal blood, we're not like other vampires who drink human blood."

Hearing him say it out loud just made it more real.

His entire family were vampires. I don't know why that surprised me so much.

Maybe it was because they were all unnaturally beautiful. My idea of vampires were the scary Dracula forms.

I looked up at him.

"But you come out during the day." I said.

He looked out the window.

"Perfect timing."

He stood up and walked towards it. The sun was just beginning to rise hitting my window.
He opened it then took off his shirt and oh Lord what a sight it was, my eyes were fixed on his rock board abs and then something else grabbed my attention.

As the sun hit his body, his skin sparkled.
It looked like stars were dancing on his skin.

I gaped.

Without thinking, I stood up getting out of bed and walked towards him.

I don't know what pushed me to do it but I ran my hands over his chest, his cool skin made contact with my hand and I was surprised when he flinched.

I quickly pulled away and muttered a 'sorry'.
He wasn't an object. He was still a living being.

He looked at me seriously. "You know, you can't tell anyone, right? Not only would it put me in trouble but my family too."

I let out a humourless laugh. "Who am I going to tell?"

In reality, I had no one especially now that Ryan was gone, the thought brought tears to my eyes that I quickly blinked away, I felt like I had already cried too many times in front of Emmett before.

"Your secret's safe with me. I promise I won't tell anyone." I told him firmly.

He nodded, he was studying my face intently as if trying to see if I was telling the truth. Could he do that?

I looked at his sparkling chest. What else was he capable of?

"I guess this is the part where I say thank you for saving my life, twice."

"I might have to save it again."

I furrowed my brows at him waiting for an explanation.

"The man who killed your friend. He might come for you too."

My eyes widened in fear. I choked failing to find the words to say.
He surprised me yet again by putting a finger under my chin and tilting my head to look up at him.

"It's okay, Sophie, I am not going to let anything happen to you, you're safe. I promise."

His words shocked me, the ferocity and protectiveness they carried. I had never had someone do something like that for me before.

Again, before I could comprehend what was happening, he surprised me once more by leaning down and placing his lips on mine.

It wasn't a real kiss. It only lasted a nanosecond until we heard my door handle turn. I felt a breeze blow past and all I caught a glimpse of was the curtains moving as he jumped out my window.

The door swung open and a blonde head came into view.

"Aunt Judith?" I asked in shock noticing my twenty four year old aunt.

"Sophie." She breathed out before striding to me and wrapping me in a tight hug. "I'm so sorry, hun."

I felt guilt run through my body.

Ryan.

All that was running through my mind was what just happened with Emmett. I could still feel his cold lips on mine.

Emmett Cullen just kissed me.