F o r t y s i x

"See you at 3?" His eyes are hopeful as he turns to look at me. I'm already halfway out of the car. I still haven't gotten around to getting used to his new hair - or his new way of acting for that matter. Funny thing is, I can't even tell if he's acting or not. 

"I've already told you this, I'm going to the coffee house with Jayce after school," I can't help rolling my eyes as I tell him. We discussed this at least 10 times the during the last week; Monday is school til 1.30 and work from 3 to 9, Tuesday is the same, Wednesday is school til 3 and picking up Sam and Luke afterwards and taking care of them until Dayla gets home at 7, Thursday is school til 3 and Friday is school til 3 and coffee date with Jayce afterwards. He's been so onto my plans all week, squeezing in ways to see me whenever I have the time - even when I don't have the time. Taking it into consideration that he's asked me about this so many times, he shouldn't physically be able to forget my schedule. 

"Right, I can pick you guys up and drive you there? Since Jayce doesn't have a car..." He runs his hand through his short hair once and adjusts the bandana that's wrapped around it messily. Every morning he's been looking the same. Having the benefit of knowing him, I can see that he's lacking sleep. His hair is more messy that usual, it's greasy and he has prominent purple hues around his eyes. It worries me that he's not in a great state of mind, but I can't bring myself to ask him about it or help him with it.

"You really don't have to, Harry. It's two stops with the bus,"  I shift the weight of my body over to my other leg and check the time on the watch on my wrist. 7.52AM. 

"I'll see you at 3 then," a small, forced smile forms on his lips and I sigh. He can let me transport myself 10 minutes into the city without being all daddy on me and acting like I can't do things on my own. Not that I would know how it feels to have a dad, but I have my imagination. 

"Harry-" I open my mouth to speak, but he's quick to interrupt me.

"At 3," followed by that same forced smile. 

"Bye Harry," I shut the door behind me and walk towards the entrance of my school. The weather is still cold, so I tighten the belt of my trenchcoat around my waist - even though I'm mere feet away from the school doors. 

"So that's the fifth day in a row Harry drives you to school, am I correct?" Carly says, peeping up next to me on the staircase leading up to the school. 

"Yea," I can't help hesitating as I reply to her - without me even knowing why. Neither of my friends are big fans of Harry due to our history, which I can't possibly blame them for, so naturally it's a touchy subject.

"Are you back together or something?" Her hand on my shoulder stops the both of us on the peaceful and empty hallway. It's barely 8, and usually students don't fill up class rooms or hallways before 8.10 when lectures begin. She looks me straight in the eyes, as if it would help her see through me and find the answer. 

"Listen, Carls, no. I haven't found it in me to forgive him, but he's a persistent person and I can't seem to shake him off. He's trying to make up for lost time, I can see and feel it, and I admire him for that, but you don't forget these things just because a person drives you to school every morning for a week." Carly remains silent after that and we continue walking down the hallway to our first class where we find our seats in the back. I hate being reminded of him hurting me, it makes my head ache to the point where I can't even focus on what's happening in front of my eyes. Lately the headaches have been returning more frequently. 

"Fück off that was the most boring social studies class I've ever experienced," Jayce dramatically comments and dumps himself on my table, breaking the thoughts passing through my head.