Four

By the time you had enough energy to get back up from the floor, you had no idea what to do. Books didn't enthrall you, neither did anything else you would usually do. The only thing you could think about was Dean, and you hated it. You sat down in your chair, your head on one armrest and your legs hanging over the other. You stared blankly at the wall while your mind swirled with bright green eyes and snarky remarks. 

"Y/n." Castiel's voice snapped you out of your daydreaming, causing you to almost fall off the chair. You clutched your chest, turning to look at him. 

"You scared me. What are you doing here?" You asked him, sitting up straight and running a hand through your hair. Castiel sat down next to you, sighing. 

"I'm sorry I wasn't here when you came back. It's just Dean was helping you out and I almost said that he was so caring of you even though he didn't know he was your soulmate, but I promised you I wouldn't tell him so I had to go. I wish I could have been here." Castiel explained, and you grabbed his hand. 

"It's okay. You were helping me keep my secret. It was the right thing to do." You explained, and the hint of a smile tugged on the Angel's lips. He looked at you, a sudden seriousness in his eyes. 

"Y/n, you have to see them again. I visited the Winchesters before I came here and they're both worried about you. So worried that they forgot about the case they're working. They've both taking quite a liking to you, Dean- more than he's comfortable with. It's natural for soulmates to feel that way, though." Castiel said. That last part of his words sent a jolt through you, was he telling the truth? 

"I know. Dean gave me his number, and I thought about using it, but I've never used a phone before." You said, giving Castiel a sheepish smile. Castiel chuckled, pulling the phone out of his pocket. 

"It's quite easily actually. I'll teach you." He said, before he began showing you all the buttons and what they mean. After awhile, you were sure you had most of it down, but Castiel promised the two of you would practice more later. 

"Now call him and invite him to the diner down the street. Then go get ready. We're going out." Castiel said, and your eyes widened. 

"Like, out? Out into the world? What if I hurt someone?" You asked, digging your nails into the armrests of your chair. Castiel tilted his head at you. 

"As long as your soulmate is there you with you, you will be on your best behavior, wanting nothing more than to prove that you're normal. That you're just like him." He said, and you nodded. 

"Alright. I'll call him." You said, before pulling the paper with his number on it out of your pocket. You typed it into the keypad like Cas taught you and held the phone up to your ear as it started ringing. 

"Hello?" Dean's deep voice asked as he answered the call on the third ring. You took in a shuddering breath. 

"Hey, Dean. It's Y/n. I was wondering if you and your brother wanted to go to the diner down the street from my house. Talk some more. We never got to finish our conversation because I, well, died." You said, trying not to freak out at the fact you were talking on the phone and about to go out into the real world for the first time in centuries. 

"Y/n? Hey, we were just starting to get worried about you. Yeah, we'd love to. How does five work for you?" He asked, and you smiled. 

"That would be great. I'll see you then." You said, and then you hung up. Turning to Castiel, you braced yourself for him to tell you how bad that was. 

"Great job, Y/n. Now go get ready." He ordered, and you nodded. Handing him the phone, you headed up to your room to get ready for your first interaction with humans since before the dark ages. 

~Thirty minutes later~

 You looked at yourself in the mirror, wondering if how you looked would fit in with how the humans looked these days. Your hair was up in a messy bun, your eyelids painted a silver color with eyeliner and thickening mascara, and your lips a dark pink. You were wearing a sweatshirt and skinny jeans, with black ankle boots to finish it off. 

Sighing, you went down to where Cas was flipping through one of your books. He looked up as you walked in, nodding approvingly. 

"Let's go." He said, standing up. You sighed, following him out the door as the knot in your stomach twisted tighter and tighter. 

Sam and Dean were already there when you arrived, sitting in a booth and talking quietly. You read their minds to see what they were talking about. They were talking about... you? How they wanted to figure out what you were and all your powers and if you were dangerous. You felt tears rise to your eyes, they wanted to kill you. 

Dean saw you, and his face fell as he saw the tears in your eyes and knew you had read his and his brother's mind. He got up to talk to you, to explain, but you didn't want to hear it. The light flickered on and on as your emotions went haywire, and you ran out of the diner before you could hurt anyone. 

You felt so stupid. You thought Dean was different, that he cared. But as you tore through the forest behind the diner, sobs forcing their way out of you, you realized he was just the same as any hunter. You were so blindsided by your emotions that you didn't hear someone following you. You regretted that the second something covered your mouth and everything went black.