Chapter Eight: Telling It All

I came to after surgery, finding myself back in the bright white hospital room that I had been previously admitted to. I,  however, was alone. Roseanne's pocketbook lied in the corner of an empty chair as well as a crumpled up blanket. She must have left for a moment. Josh was gone too. I didn't blame him for leaving though. He had stayed up practically all night. Hopefully, Roseanne had sent him home to rest. He needed after everything that he had gone through in the past forty eight hours. 

I sat up in bed, blinking my eyes a few times in an attempt to adjust back to reality. Not even a few minutes later, Elaine and Roseanne walked into my room. A smile appeared on Roseanne's face as she caught sight of me. Elaine moved towards the other side of me, not saying a word. 

"Ethan! You're awake," Roseanne grinned quickly grabbing my hand. "How do you feel? Are you ok? Does anywhere hurt?"

"I'm fine," I mumbled back. My throat was dry and a bit hoarse. She wrapped her arms around me, kissing me on the lips quickly. I reciprocated, happy to be alive and to have come out of surgery well. I had only wished Josh was here but he would come back, I'm sure of it. 

"Thank god," Elaine replied her arms folded across her chest. "The doctors said the surgery was successful. They just have a few more tests to run on you in the next two days and you'll be free to go if everything's ok."

"Great," I nodded glancing around for my cell phone. "Where's my phone?"

"It's in my purse," Roseanne replied. "Why do you need it?"

"I just wanted to call the girls," I lied quickly. I actually wanted to text Josh. I knew he'd be worried about me. I just wanted to let him know I was fine.

"Oh don't worry about that," she smiled. "I'm leaving right now to go get them from your mother and to change. Elaine is staying here with you. I'll be back soon, babe."

"Ok," I nodded as she slid her jacket on, slinging her pocketbook over her shoulder. She kissed me on the forehead, before she walked out of the hospital room, closing the door shut behind her. Elaine moved to the chair Roseanne was sitting at it, her eyes fixed on mine.

"I'm so glad you're ok," Elaine said patting me on my shoulder. "Mom was in hysterics like usual. You're bright shining face will hopefully bring some sense back to her."

"Hopefully," I replied sarcastically. "You know her."

There was a brief moment of silence between us and I could tell that there was something on Elaine's mind. I had a feeling she met Josh. I kind of regretted telling her about him and it was in a moment weakness when I did. The thing about Elaine was that she could be judgmental at times and a tad overbearing. She had good intentions but sometimes I didn't need her advice. But she always seemed to give it out anyways.

"Josh was here," Elaine mentioned just as I predicted. "He and I talked."

Talked? What could they possibly have talked about? I had a feeling that I wasn't going to like where this conversation was going. When I told Elaine about Josh, I was in a different place than I am now. I chewed on my lower lip. "About?"

"You know what about," she replied her dark brown eyes not leaving mine once. "Ethan, are you out of your mind? You brought him here with your wife."

"Elaine," I groaned not really wanting to hear her voice. She quickly cut me off, raising her voice at me like she was my mother. I was already regretting having gone to her in my moment of crisis. 

"No Ethan! Don't Elaine me!" she huffed. "I thought you were done with him. You told me you ended it. I can't believe you, Ethan. Do you know how bad this looks? He brought Roseanne coffee! Coffee, Ethan! He's acting like the perfect friend as if you two aren't screwing each other behind your wife's back. It's wrong, Ethan! It's wrong and you know it!"