Chapter Six: That Time Again

"Can I get you something to drink, Josh?" Roseanne offered as Josh unbuttoned his jacket. He pulled his hat off of his head, running his fingers through his black hair. He looked different. His hair was shorter. He had a bit of facial hair and his eyebrows were waxed. He must have gone clubbing lately. That's the only time he changes his looks. That or he was trying to impress someone.

I was already feeling a little jealous just looking at him. I couldn't help but wonder if he had been with someone else. It was so soon. It had only been a month since we ended everything. Had he gotten over me that fast?

I hadn't.

"No thank you I'm fine," he said sitting down on the chair across from me. He was nervous. I could tell. I could always tell. I was certain Roseanne could too.

"I'll bring you some water," she said moving into the kitchen. As soon as she walked out, I glared at him.

"What are you doing here?" I asked keeping my voice low. "We're through, remember?"

"Fuck you," Josh growled his voice tinged with anger. "Don't you dare ask me what I'm doing here. I – I can't fucking believe you didn't tell me that you had cancer. Why didn't you call me? Why didn't you shoot me a text, tweet me, Facebook message me, call someone else to tell me? Huh? Am I just not that important to you? Am I not family enough to know? Huh Ethan?"

"I didn't want to drag you into this," I retorted. "It's none of your concern."

"None of my concern," Josh said raising his voice at me. "Bullshit, Ethan Clarke. That's bullshit and you know it."

"Could you lower your voice? There are small impressionable children around," I rasped as he stood up, pacing. He was really upset about this. I should have known he would have found out somehow. Joanne had probably told me. After she gave me that speech on love I wouldn't be surprised if she was the one who had ratted me out to him.

"I don't care," Josh retorted. "I don't care about anything. The only thing I care about right now is you. I mean look at you. You look like shit, Ethan. You - You look fucking terrible. I can't believe you would hide something like this for weeks. You knew for weeks that you were sick and it never occurred to you to call me. What if you died, huh? What if you died during surgery tomorrow? I'd probably never know. Who would tell me?"

"Obviously the same person who told you about the cancer," I muttered sarcastically as Roseanne returned with the glass of water. She handed it to Josh. He took a sip from the glass, before placing it down on the counter. Josh sighed sitting back down, taking a few deep breaths. Roseanne glanced at him questioningly.

"So Josh? Are you one of Ethan's patients?" she asked filling in the silence that had overtaken the room. Josh chuckled, shaking his head at her.

"No," he replied swiftly. "I'm just a friend. Hell, I might not even be that. I'm sure all of Ethan's friends knew about his cancer. So I guess I'm just an associate."

"Maybe you should go home," I suggested to Josh. "I'm actually kind of tired. I have a big day ahead of me."

"No," Josh said shaking his head. "I'm not letting you do this, Ethan. I'm not letting you push me away."

"Josh," I began to protest.

"I think it would be best if you left," Roseanne interrupted. "Ethan has surgery tomorrow and he needs his rest. You are more than welcome to come back tomorrow and visit him in the hospital."

"Fine," Josh said standing up from the couch. "I'm going. But I'll be back tomorrow after your surgery, Ethan. Bye. Thanks for the water, Roseanne."