Nothing's Ever Easy ~Chapter 28

Start from the beginning

“I got accepted.” I said. My mouth hung open. “I actually got accepted.”

“I’m proud of you, son. I knew you were going to make it.” My dad said patting me on my back. He got up and left me to my devices after congratulating me.

I continued staring at the letter. It was unfathomable. This wasn’t a joke and I really got accepted. They didn’t even need my final results, just the diploma to prove that I graduated high school. Apparently my previous grades, recommendation letters and extra circular activities were enough for an immediate acceptance. I let out a sigh of relief. I did it. 

Two nights later we were all sitting in a booth at the back in Jimmy’s. Finals were over, I got accepted and things were going well for everyone. ‘Everyone’ meaning Travis, Evelyn,  a guy in my math class and myself. I didn’t see the need for more friends at the moment.

I was talking to Dan-my classmate- when I heard Evelyn gasp. I looked over to her and raised my eyebrows in question. “What happened?”

“I just got a text from Cal” She said as she scrolled through the phone. “Freshmen and Sophomores aren’t allowed to go to the prom.”

“What?” She handed the phone over to me. “Why the hell not?”

“I think it’s because of the prank that was pulled last year.” Travis said. He looked to Evelyn with a sad expression. “Evelyn, I am so sorry.”

“How can they just change their minds?” I said. “The prom is in two days.” 

“I don’t know.”Evelyn shrugged. “You guys can go and have fun. I’ll see the pictures in the yearbook.”

I could tell that she wasn’t too happy about his. Evelyn looked devastated. Sure, I didn’t care much about the prom but Evelyn seemed so excited. I sighed and drank of my soda. I didn’t think that anything I would say now would make things better.

The next day at school the buzzer of the intercom went off as we were sitting in class. We all looked up as if the speaker would suddenly pop out into thin air.

“Seniors, congratulations on completing your finals.I trust that all of you did well and will pass.” Yea, because that wouldn’t put any pressure on those that actually wrote. “In relation to the prom tomorrow, there are a few conditions. Only the seniors and juniors are allowed to attend. No freshmen or sophomores will be tolerated inside. We cannot risk a repeat of last year’s events. Your partners can be anyone from this school or another, excluding those mentioned previously. Any freshman or sophomore found at the prom will be suspended for a week.”

I tuned the principle out after that. Anything else he said wouldn’t matter either way. I leaned back in my seat and sighed. i couldn’t sit here and do nothing. I didn’t even give a damn about the prom anyway.

***

~Evelyn~

I flipped the page in my book- The Great Gatsby- and had some soft music playing the background. It was strange, when I first heard about the book I thought that it would be one of those cliché books. The reviews barely told me anything I needed to know. As mysterious as Jay Gatsby was, it made me want to know what made him tick. I felt his pain when he saw that Daisy was married and it irked me. Why couldn’t people just get what they wanted? Granted that Jay almost did, and the book didn’t end so well for him.

So this was how I was spending my Friday night- also known as Prom Night. I didn't mind though, well not really. It was Adrian’s senior year and I wasn’t going to stop him from his senior year activities. That just seemed too mean.