Nothing's Ever Easy ~Chapter 26

Okay so we have Chapter 26. On time might I add

I don't know what happened with this chapter.

The pic is of Landon

The video link is 'What Hurts The Most' by Rascal Flatts

Enjoooooy!

comment, like, vote, etc

~Evelyn~

It had been quite a few weeks since that night back at the old house. Travis agreed to come home the next day but he refused to transfer schools. I guess he made sense. What was the point of transferring to another school when graduation was so close?

I sighed as I tapped my pen against my book. We were doing a book review of The Diary of Anne Frank. I didn’t mind the book, but the pace was annoying. Instead of reading it at home, the dumb excuse of an English teacher insisted that we read it together, ‘as a class’. I’d rolled my eyes when she said this.

The people didn’t like me here. That much was known on my first day here. Everyone stared at me as I walked down the halls and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t be the invisible new girl.

By the time it was lunch, I had had enough of all these idiots. I still refused to hate it though. Aunt Heather went through a lot to get me in here- one of the best high schools in the city- and I wasn’t going to waste her money. I think it helped that she had a friend in the faculty. More than that, I’d say. She dated the school’s principle during college.

I sat in the cafeteria and frowned at my lunch. Apple pie for desert and a very suspicious looking sandwich as the main meal. I didn’t want to use the better half of my spare money on extravagant lunch. I could make do with ‘sloppy seconds’. I’ve suffered through worse.

To get my mind off the food I pulled out my copy of the boo we were assigned and flipped it open to the page where I stopped.

I was so engrossed in the book that I didn’t notice that someone occupied the seat opposite me. I was rather shocked to see a girl smiling at me.

“We’re supposed to be reading as a class.” She said gesturing to the book.

I looked down at said book and automatically hid it under the table. Out of sight, out of mind. “I didn’t have the patience to wait.” I shrugged.

I kept my shoulders tense. Could I get into trouble for reading ahead? I feared at the thought of Aunt Heather being called just a few weeks into the new semester.

“You can relax. I’ve read the book before too.” The girl said. I took a moment to study her. She seemed like a bit of a rebel, but one that ‘sort of’ obeyed the rules. “The name’s Max.”

“Max?” I asked. “Is that short for something?”

“It was, until it wasn’t.” She answered.

“I’m Evelyn.”

“Were your parents hippies?”

I frowned at her. “My name’s not weird, or the result of hippy-hype.”

“I know, I was just genuinely curious.” This girl- Max- was a strange creature. I hoped that I would have fun figuring her out. “So tell me, Evelyn-my -name’s-not-weird, what brought you to Crapville high?”

“We moved here a month ago. We stay with my aunt at the edge of town.” I said gesturing in the direction of the house, which was rather pointless. We were inside the school.