Chapter Fifteen- Blinded

"A clock. How could one simple clock be so hard to find?" I whisper to myself, quietly rummaging through the old children's home. To get to present day, Carlie had to use a clock to create a new loop that we could travel to from the current-broken loop we're in now.

Yeah, I hardly understand it myself.

Glancing around, I keep careful watch on the Hollows outside the house. They didn't know we were here, which worked in our favor, but if they spotted us, we'd be trapped in the building for them to eat.

I see movement out of the corner of my eye, so I grab a brick and whirl around, prepared for a Hollow to rip my eyes out at that second.

However, it was only Enoch.

"God, Enoch, you scared me. Did you find a clock?"

Enoch doesn't say anything, just clutches his leg with what looks like a death grip. His face was pale, he was sweating, and there was blood all over him. I assume the bullet wound had been infected, before I see the blood glisten in his eyes.

"What happened? I ask, frantically searching for something to wrap his leg up with.

"Jake... They already know we're here," Enoch gasps.

"Who? The Hollows?"

Enoch nods, and I see his legs wobble. Steadying him, I see a glimpse of a Hollow behind him. It wasn't charging at us- it just seemed to be looking at us. It looks sad.

"Enoch, you're going to be fine," I whisper, slowly pulling him behind another wall. He slides down the wall, and his breaths began to get shorter and more violent.

I didn't tell him this, but I knew he was going to die. The bullet had been poisoned, and his wound had been re-infected. There was no way I could get him the medical help he needed.

At that moment, the sad-looking Hollow runs towards us. I lift Enoch, throwing him over my shoulder as I run.

"I found a... Hey!" Carlie squeals as I scramble past her with Enoch. A small pocket watch swings between her fingers, as she transforms into a bird. She flies above us, making loud chirping sounds in a repetitive pattern through the pocket watch. It was a simple A, B, A, B pattern, and after each chirp, a large sound-wave was visible.

It didn't take long for a portal-looking loop to form. The sound-waves combined into a big circle, with a purplish glow. A low humming sound emitted from the center, and I could tell that it wouldn't be open for long. Looking up to Carlie, I see her shake her head.

"Each person has to go in on their own, one at a time!"

There wasn't any time to question this, so I help Enoch stand. He looks at me with dread in his eyes, almost begging me to leave him.

"You can do this, Enoch. Just a little further," I tell him, releasing his arm.

"Jake..."

"Come on, you can't give up now!"

"Jacob..." He collapses into my arms.

"Enoch..." Tears prick in my eyes, as I hoist him back on his feet again. The same thing happens, with him letting out a cry of pain.