Chapter 13

A couple days have passed since Joey tried to harm himself. He still has not gone to therapy yet because he doesn't want to face what happened. He says he's fine, but Allie knows he's not. Since he won't go to therapy, Kate asked Allie to stay with them, so she could try and get Joey to talk about what happened.
Joey begins to turn to drugs to fade his pain. He does this in secret for a couple of days until Allie finds him using drugs. She walks into the room and grabs the needle and throws it out and says to him, "what are you doing? Where did you get this?.....Joey answer me." Joey is already high at this point and he responds, "what do you care, what does anyone care, I know I don't. This helps me not remember." Allie says, "Joey, you are going down a dangerous path. Let me tell you a story." Joey says sarcastically, "oh yeah it's story time. I'm not 2 Allie." Allie says with a stern tone, "no, but your son is." Joey looks at her in silence. Allie says, "now I got your attention listen to this. You know what my brother, Lucas, went through a couple years ago right?" Joey says, "sarcastically, yeah so. What does that have to do with me?" Allie says, "because he went down that road, the road where there's no going back, drugs took him for a while.....he's actually here now to talk to you. I texted him." Joey says with an annoyed tone, "wow great story Allie, thanks for letting me know, you can leave now." Allie says, "I'm not going anywhere." Lucas walks into the room and sees Joey, he knows right away by looking at him that he's high. Lucas says to Joey, "man, how much did you take?" Joey says sarcastically, "I didn't take anything, see the needle. Think man, chill." Lucas says, "man, you need to stop this now. How long has it been?" Joey says, "I don't know, like 2-3 days I guess." Lucas goes into he bathroom and knows exactly where to look for the drugs. Lucas puts all of it down the drain. While he's doing that Joey gets up and yells and jumps on Lucas to try and stop him yelling, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING, THATS MY WAY OUT, STOP." Lucas throws him off his back and gets in his face and says, "if you keep this up, you'll lose everything, understand me? It might make you feel better for a little but the long-term effects, it's not worth it." Joey looks at him and says, "what do you know?" Lucas says, "I know everything, because that was me 2 years ago." Joey says, "oh storytime great." Lucas says, "sit down, shut up, and listen." Joey sits down and looks at Lucas in silence. Lucas says, "I was going through a rough time for a while, and I started hanging around with the wrong group of people. They had access to heroin and other drugs and I need a release from my problems. At first it didn't bother me, and as time went on, I started doing it so much that it took over my life. I couldn't function, nor did I want, without drugs in my system. I began dating this girl, who had access to all the drugs I wanted, and we would do it together and encourage one another. I thought it was the only way that I could escape my pain and my thoughts, and I thought it would make people like me more. A couple weeks after I started taking the drugs Allie found one of my needles in the trash, so she confronted me, and I yelled and screamed and said things I will always regret, like you just did with me. She offered me help, and said I needed to stop because I wasn't being myself. I didn't care at all, and I told her that. I didn't stop, and I got worse and worse. I had very impulsive behaviors, things I'd rather not explain. I went to bars and I drank and then afterwards me and my girlfriend would go get high. This went on for a full year. Allie never gave up on me though, except for one night. I did something really bad, and I honestly don't remember all of it because I was so out of it. But I remember Allie telling me she felt like she lost me, and that I would never be found. It took me another year to finically go get help and get my life back together. I went into the military and that helped me. It's hard still, but I'm getting through it. But I'm telling you this so you don't have to go through all that. You'll be putting yourself and others at risk. You have a son Joey, think of him." Joey sits there in silence, and he begins to cry, and then he says, "how did you get through the pain? I don't want to feel like this." Lucas says, "I went to rehab, and I had my family and friends who supported me." Joey looks at Lucas and Allie and says, "will you help me?" Lucas and Allie say, "of course."