Chapter Sixteen: The red door.

Dr. Mark's hands firmly pressed into my lower abdomen, feeling around as he worked to examine the area. I felt pressure, a bit of anxiety, and a wave of nausea as he continued to work. "You seem to be doing fine, considering the recent 'situation' at the house," he said as he walked his fingers gently up my stomach. 

"I think so, too," I replied. His face wasn't giving anything away about what he felt.  Did he feel something more? Was it all the same? Was I dying?

Dr. Mark chuckled. He had seemed much harsher when I'd met him earlier on, but it seemed that was just from his job. His and Mason's demeanor was a lot different at the Cancer Center than it was when they visited the house. Here they seemed more focused, more goal oriented, less relaxed. 

"I know Dr. Everett's already explained what'll happen today so I won't bore you with any more details. Just know that once the scan is over, you're free to leave."

"You make it sound like I'm a prisoner."

Dr. Mark smiled, rolling his metal chair away from me and stopping in front of the exam room desk. He typed something into the computer before speaking to me over his shoulder, "Dylan is having everything handled under his insurance?"

I looked up at him, straightening my sundress as I sat upright, "I don't know if it's his insurance but I know he's the one footing the bill. This is all for his sake, after all."

"I suppose so." His answer was short and he continued typing. He wrapped up his task a few moments later and a document printed a few feet away. Once again, Dr. Mark moved by rolling the chair to where he needed to go. He retrieved the document and stood quickly, "Just wait right here, I'll call ahead for a transport." 

The small exam room was attached to his office. Outside, I could hear the sound of Mason and Dr. Mark talking as the door remained slightly open. "Does it seem that she could be eligible for the treatment?" Mason asked. 

In the distance, I could hear the sound of Dr. Mark gruffly clearing his throat, "I can't give an accurate response to that yet. There are a lot of variables to consider and even if her last scan shows some hope until these results come in, we won't be able to make a decision."

"But she's perfect for the. .  ." Mason started.

"You're not listening!" Dr. Mark said, slightly raising his voice, "You're allowing your emotions to get the better of you where this case is concerned.  She is a patient, Mason, personal feelings aside."

I felt a shiver run down my back. There really was a difference when they were in a professional setting. Dr. Mark was treating me as if I was anyone else who'd come through his doors seeking treatment, and to be honest, it made me a little happy.

Mason's protests were swift, "I'm not, but don't you feel the least bit concerned about her? Beyond this, she has nothing and no one to even stand by her during the treatments. You and I both know just how difficult it is. Trying to take on Chemotherapy by yourself is much harder than doing it with a support system."

"Even so. . . " Dr. Mark's voice faded gently. 

"Even so, we won't know until after the scan." Mason conceded, finally. 

The next few minutes I spent sitting at the edge of the exam bed waiting for my transport to come to take me to the Radiology room. That is where I'd drink the disgusting liquid called contrast so that it could light up all the infected tissue on the scan. Kinda like turning my insides into glowsticks. 

I groaned inwardly.

Moments later, I could hear the small sound of a knock on the door. My transporter James, as indicated on his name tag, had come to take me to Radiology. He seemed nice, young, almost underage to be honest. His short curly red hair reminded me of Annie and I couldn't help but think that his peppy attitude was more natural than it seemed artificial.