Chapter Seven: Dylan

I barely felt the floor beneath me as I bounded up the staircase. I was well rested, felt stronger than I did the day before, more feisty. My voice strained as I shouted for Dylan on my way up the stairs. He had something to answer for, and I wasn't going to let it slide, if he any other intentions, I'd make him sorry he chose to pick me for his experiment. 

Wide eyes met me as Dylan rushed to the top of the landing. He quickly surveyed me rushing out in such a frantic state that you'd assume there was something on fire. Or that someone was dying. 

It was closer to the latter. 

I wanted to scream at him, to verbally abuse and berate him for his alleged scheme, but my body had other plans. The view I had was turning again, flipping as the world inverted on me, only this time I didn't hit the floor. The warm feeling of Dylan's muscular arms could be felt as he pulled me to my feet. His face was lowered to my ear, his lips gently brushing the outline of my cheek as he helped me up. "Lilith, your doctor is here," he said.

My frail constitution meant that walking was a task, but Dylan helped me nonetheless, unaware that I'd been calling out to him to share my disgust in the type of human being he was. He was missing a serious tongue lashing but truth be told, the only thing I could focus on, aside from my erratic breathing, was how worried Dylan had looked as I called out his name. 

"Thank you," I whispered through a raspy breath. The gratitude felt bitter on my tongue. As if thanking him was negating the things I already felt. However, I allowed myself to be guided along, into the living room and across into one of the doors I'd avoided the day before. 

Once again, the interior of the room momentarily stumped me. Pricey furniture adorned the room on all sides. Giving it a more elevated look than the one outside that had just one simple love seat facing the wall mounted television.

Besides the furniture, there were two men seated and several metal cases that seemed to hold medical equipment in the room. I pushed my weight against Dylan, urging him to stop as we entered the room.

"Why are you doing this?" I questioned him quietly. There was no response from him as he forced me into the room and led me to a black chaise. "Dylan?" I whispered his name as I slid onto the leather upholstery, but he continued to ignore me. 

"Dr. Everett, Dr. Mark." Dylan motioned to me, "This is your patient, Lilith Grant. You already have her chart so I'm sure you know her diagnosis and current health status, but if you have any questions just ask me."

I heard his words and disbelief overcame me. Who was he to be asked about me? Dylan didn't know a thing about me. He didn't even know my birthday. As far as I could tell, all he knew was what I told him and the few things he snooped through in my medical records.  

"Ms. Grant?" the first man, clearly in his early 50's with dark skin and salt and pepper hair, "How do you feel right now? Do you have any pain or does it feel like you have trouble breathing?"

I shook my head. 

I was obviously lying. My chest was heaving so high it could be doing the high jump at the Olympics. Not to mention how much my lips were parted trying to get extra oxygen in from the air around me.

The doctor sensed my attitude and turned his attention to Dylan with raised brows. "Mr. Stone, is she okay? Has she experienced any difficulty with breathing or anything else since she left the institution?" I rolled my eyes carefully as I felt a wave of coughing coming over me.

Dylan, being the distinguished gentleman that he was, quickly sat next to me, slowly rubbing my back in a circular motion as I began coughing. Well, she seemed fine when I went to speak to her 15 mins ago, and there were no reports from the staff that indicated anything other than she was fine," he cleared his throat as I continued to cough and raised his voice so that he could be heard better, "When I checked in on her last night her breathing was normal and she didn't seem to have any elevated vitals."