Chapter 28

I walked into Frank's hospital room nervously. He was laying the bed, reading some work papers Pete had given to him. I stood by the door nervously because I didn't want to interrupt him. It was five whole minutes before he noticed me and he flinched.

"Jesus Christ, baby, don't scare me like that," Frank muttered. "How long have you been standing there?"

"I'm sorry for making your stitches come out," I whimpered. "I-I made you a cupcake. Well, Marco made it but I decorated it for you. I'm sorry."

"Come here, baby boy," Frank said.

I sniffled, sitting on the side of his bed.

"Princess, I wish I could eat that cupcake but Patrick had me on a liquid diet just to be safe," Frank said. "But thank you so much."

My lip quivered as i looked at the cupcake, which had a bunch of pink frosting with colorful sprinkles on it and it said 'I'm sorry' on it in icing.

"I-I can make you soup," I offered. "W-well I don't know how to cook but I can get Marco to make you soup."

"Babydoll, you don't need to apologize," Frank said.

"B-but I made you get hurt," I whimpered.

"Baby, stop blaming yourself," Frank said. "I'm the one who moved too quickly and too roughly."

I sniffled and Frank held onto my head.

"How about you go grab my laptop and we can watch a movie together," he suggested.

I nodded, going up to quickly get his laptop before I headed back down.

"I don't know what the hell my dad was thinking when he built this room," Frank muttered. "Right in the basement, I don't even get a window and I'm confined in this space."

I looked around at the plain walls, the same all around from floor to ceiling and almost blindingly white.

"At least I've got your pretty face to look at," Frank said and I blushed. "C'mere, beautiful, don't be shy."

Frank scooched over slightly, wincing a bit but he tried to hide it. I sat next to him nervously, so scared that I might hurt him again.

"Closer, baby," Frank said.

I sat so my side pressed against his. Frank wrapped an arm around my shoulder and I blushed.

"So, what are we watching?" He asked.

I turned on his computer, typing in the password and going to Netflix.

"Pick one," I said.

"Nope, you get to pick," Frank said.

I sighed, picking a movie that I thought looked good. As we watched, I ate the cupcake because Frank said I shouldn't let it go to waste. My eyes filled with tears as I finished it and I threw the wrapper on the ground.

"What's wrong?" Frank asked.

I sat up, setting the laptop aside.

"You keep making me happy but I don't wanna be happy because you're not happy," I cried.

"Baby, I'm happy," Frank said. "It isn't so bad, at least I don't have to be working and I can spend more time with you."

"But you're hurt," I whimpered. "A-and you're not happy down here in the basement. And I don't want the cupcake and I don't wanna pick the movie because those things make me happy and I want you to be the one that's happy."

"Baby, you happy makes me happy," Frank said.

"B-but I don't wanna be happy," I said. "I wanna be sad."