Chapter 1

THIRTEEN YEARS LATER

I smiled, holding up the small grey animal.

"I want this one," I stated.

"What are you gonna name her?" The worker asked.

"Um, I wanna name her Mitch," I decided.

"But, sweetheart, that's a boy's name," the lady said.

"Her name is Mitch," I pouted, setting the animal down to cross my arms.

"If my son wants to name his cat Mitch, I think he should be allowed to name her Mitch," my dad defends.

I smiled, picking up the little kitten and scratching the top of her head gently. The two talked about pet ownership while I stayed where I was. I was sitting in the little box where you could play with the animals before buying them.

"Do you wanna come home with me, Mitch?" I asked.

Mitch purred softly, rubbing her head against my chest.

"We're gonna have so much fun together," I said. "It'll be Mitch and Gee forever."

I smiled as Mitch meowed. I picked out toys and other necessities for her. When we were finally finished, the two of us headed out to the car. Well, three of us if you counted Mitch. We drove for a little bit before stopping in another parking lot.

"I've gotta go in here for a bit, do you wanna come in or wait out here in the car?" My dad asked, pointing to the gun shop in front of us.

"Can I go to the candy shop right there?" I asked, pointing to the place a few stores down in the strip mall.

"What about Mitch?" My dad asked. "I don't think they'll let her in there."

I pouted. "But it's not like she's gonna eat the candy, she's just a cat."

"Here, put her collar on her and just don't let go of her, okay? She's still small and young, she can be easily frightened," my dad said.

We got the pink collar around her neck. It wasn't a permanent one, just the one we have until the one I wanted is engraved with her name and our number and address in case anything happens to her. My dad headed to the gun shop while I went to the candy shop with money he gave me. Mitch was contently in my arms, looking around her environment.

I entered the store, giving the person behind the counter a smile. She smiled, giving me a wave. We know each other because I come here quite often. I like her because her bright orange hair matched the store. It was all bright and colorful, and it smelled so good. It was like cinnamon and strawberries.

"Hi, Gee, is that your cat?" Hayley asked.

"I just got her," I said, smiling happily.

"Here, I'll help you while you pick out candy," Hayley suggested.

"Okay, just be careful, she's still little," I said.

She nodded and took her from my arms. I grabbed a bag, filling it with an assortment of different candies I like. I went to the register after I finished and paid for everything.

"I'll see you again soon?" She asked.

I nodded, taking Mitch back.

"Bye, Hayley," I said, giving her a smile.

I stepped out of the shop, heading out into the sunny streets. I walked back to our car, where I noticed some people lingering around it and pointing to it.

"Excuse me?" I asked quietly. "Who are you?"

I looked at them as they all turned to look at me. One I recognized.