Forty Six

{edited}

46

Harry POV

May fell asleep.

Or cried herself to sleep.

I slip out of her touch and tiredly run my hand through my hair. I step out of the hospital room and slide down against the wall. My knees are brought to my chest and I bury my head in my hands.

"Harry whatcha doing out here?" I hear Adam ask. I look up at him and Ronnie and bite my lip. "How cute is the baby?" A smile on his lips.

"Um," I clear my throat. "S-she didn't ma-make it." I manage to say.

Saying out loud that April isn't alive makes me sick.

Adam and Ronnie's face fall. "Wait." He says. "No." I nod. "That can't be right." Adam runs his hand through his hair. "How's May?"

"She fell asleep, but uh not well." I say.

"I'm sorry Harry." I rest my head against the hospital wall. "We'll give you guys some space. We'll be back in the morning to check up on you both." I nod and they walk away.

As they walk away my parents walk toward us. I look away and stare at my hands. Tears sting my eyes.

"Why are you sitting on the floor Harry?" I hear my Mother comment. I don't reply. "Is May okay?" I look up at my parents who shake their head.

My Mom kneels down and hugs me. My father joins and I screw my eyes shut. "I'm so sorry baby." My Mom strokes my hair and I bite my lip. "Did you at least get to hold her?" I nod.

I wish I didn't have to let April go.

I wish she would be alive.

I wish that I didn't have to hold her while her eyes were shut and her skin color looked lifeless.

I wish I could just see her eyes and a smile on her lips.

I wonder if April was scared. Was she in pain?

I hope she wasn't.

May POV

Is it bad to think I wish it was me?

I feel like it is, but that's what I think.

I bite my lower lip and try to fall back asleep so I can forget that I'm a mother to a baby that is no longer living. I'll never hear her first words, or see the the possible dimples on her cheeks. She could never wear a pretty dress or a cute pair of footie pajamas that I was excited to put her in.

I was excited to take of her and everything.

I was excited to be a Mom...

I feel the tears roll off my cheeks onto my arm. I just want to be in my own bed and cry there. Not in a hospital that is making me even more depressed.

I hear the door open. The spot next to me that was empty is now filled again, and a hand rests on my stomach. "Are you awake?" Harry asks. I nod. I can't speak. "Can I get you anything?" I shake my head 'no'.

"You should eat something, May. You haven't eaten since ten in the morning, it's almost nine at night."

"I'm not hungry." I manage to say.

"Do you want to be alone?" I shake my head 'no'. I turn around and face him. His thumb wipes away the tears leaving my eyes.

"I feel like this is my fault." His head shakes.