Eleven

{edited}

May POV {college}

I'm tired.

So tired I'm about to fall asleep in the elevator. Every time it jerks and stops, I reopen my eyes and snap back into reality.

Reality isn't really where I want to be right now.

It's been a week since I tried to explain myself to Harry. Tried is a bad word.

I failed.

Terribly.

My hands were shaky the whole time and instead of just blurting it out I gave up.

That's what I've been doing lately, giving up.

The only thing keeping me from not hating myself more is the fact that there is a chance Harry and I can be friends. Maybe if that happens I can tell him. If not I have nothing to lose so I'll just blurt it at him in the elevator one day because he can't leave.

I zone into reality where I see the familiar man walk onto the elevator.

My eyes notice the new tattoos scattered across his arm and wrist.

Harry's shirt is black and he's wearing his usual black skinny jeans that I like to mock him for.

What's he doing in this floor?

He clicks the number 11 and the elevator doors shut.

His hand runs into his messy curls and I watch his every move.

"Hi." I offer. My voice low. My hands grip onto the rails behind me for support.

"Hi." His voice is plain. Harrys eyes glance back to grey metal doors.

I hate elevators if I'm being honest. I hate small spaces. Especially ones like this where you can get trapped. It took me the fifth day living here to use this and not take the steps. That was only because my legs were hurting.

I hate that this elevator is going slow.

Then, of course it comes to a stop. My heart drops and I feel like throwing up. "That didn't sound right." Harry mutters.

I remember he used to mock me for my fear of elevators. We went to the mall once and Macy's had an elevator, he forced me to used it and kept jumping inside of it to piss me off.

That memory doesn't help me actually. It makes me want to throw up more.

I press my head into the wall of the small space and take deep breaths. How the hell is he so calm?

"I pressed the emergency button." Harry tells me. I manage a nod.

"H-how are you so calm?" I ask. My eyes glance to him.

"Elevators stop all the time May." My eyes widen.

"They aren't supposed too." He cracks a half smile.

"Oh yeah you're scared of them. Should I start jumping?"

"No!" I say loudly. "Please don't. I already feel sick." I return to having my head on the wall.

"What's the worst that can happen with us in here?"

"The belts break and we fall down and die from the impact of the concrete floor at the bottom." I say. Harry just chuckles. "I saw it in a movie once."

"Seems legit." I small smile forms on my lips.

I sit on the floor, adjacent from Harry. I bring my knees to my chest and take deep breaths.

I feel like I'm going to have a panic attack.

"Are you going to have a panic attack?" Harry asks. I can't tell if he finds this funny. I would if I were him.

"Most likely if this thing doesn't move in a minute." I press my head against my knees and try to breath. "This is why I take the fucking stairs."

"At least you'll be getting your exercise." I glance up at Harry.

Silence falls between us. I pull out my phone. "No signal." I say. "How's that possible?"

"Maybe the powers out?" Harry comes up with. I press my hand against my stomach.

"So, how's school going for you?" I ask.

"Eh." His thumbs fidget. "You?"

"Okay." I mutter. "I sit around a bunch of morons though." A smile twitches on his lips. "I don't know anyone in my classes though so it feels like high school."

"Minus the bullying, right?" I bite my lip.

"It's not as bad as high school." I look at my fingers. "It's not like I expected everyone to ignore my obnoxious stutter. Some just whisper and chuckle. Some point it out." I say with a sigh. "At least I don't get my books messed up though."

"Yeah." His voice turns low and his eyes meet mine. I love his eyes. Sometimes they look grey, sometimes they look like a clear green, and when he's really happy they look like a dark green. My favourite is when they're a light shade of green. You can honestly just admire his eyes all day.

I snap out of my staring and look to the doors. It's scary to know we're in a small box and in between floors.

The elevator jerks making me flinch and soon it moves. We both stand and once the doors open a few minutes later. We both leave.

I feel like I can breathe.

I look up to the sign above the elevator and see we're only on floor 9.

Fuck.

Harry and I walk the steps in silence. My eyes stare up at how many more flights I have. I shrug to myself.

Once we reach his floor I pause for a moment. "Have a good night." I say to Harry. His eyes meet mine briefly. I just continue up after that.

A://N

Ciao

Comment goal: 30??????

Idk if I say this enough but ty for reading both Secret and this book. It means more than you think

Whatcha think this going to happen?

~lauren