Thirteen

^ this is who I imagine to play Cody. The actor irl has blue eyes but I photoshopped the color of brown I picture Cody as in the book. The actor is grey damon (era 2011 for this book) I'll add him in the cast once I have time

{edited}

13

May POV {college}

As I've been everyday, I walk down the 17 flights of steps. My calfs look pretty good though.

I press my binder against my chest as I walk.

"May, wait up!" I pause for a moment and look over my shoulder and see Cody.

He remembers me? He soon stands beside me and smiles gently. "Hey."

"Hi." I murmur. A smile creeps on his lips. We begin to walk down the stairs.

"There is an elevator for a reason." Cody comments.

"I uh don't like elevators. Plus, it's good exercise." I come up with. Cody's light brown eyes look to me like I'm crazy.

"You don't need exercise." I bite the insides of my cheeks. "We should do this everyday."

"You want to walk 11 flights of stairs everyday with a stranger?"

"I don't think of you as a stranger May. I know all most of your problems. Strangers aren't supposed to know each other's names either."

I smile gently. "I feel bad for just venting on you that day." I say honestly.

"Don't. I like to help people, and I hope I made you feel less shitty." He licks his lips.

"You did, thanks."

"Anytime." He bumps my shoulder making me chuckle.

"D-do you go to college?" I ask.

"I go to Washington State, like most people in the building." I nod.

"Are y-you a junior?" I ask.

"Yep. Yourself?"

"T-this is my first year of college."

"Oh, I'm dealing with a fetus freshman right now." Cody jokes. His brown eyes meet mine for a moment but I look away. "So you're like 19? 20?"

"19, turning 20. Y-you?"

"23." I nod. "I feel old compared to you. You're still a teenager." He mocks.

"Sadly so." I sigh.

"Did I say you look pretty today?" My cheeks heat. A smirk forms in his lips. "If I didn't, you look pretty today." Is this what flirting is? Or is he being kind?

"T-thanks." Cody just nods with a smile.

"Of course. I've been wondering, is May short for anything?"

"Nope." I run my hand through my hair.

"Oh."

"I know, i-it's an odd name."

"Not really. I think it's cute." I bite my lip. "Is your birthday in May?"

"Yep." I look at him and a wide smile is on his mouth. "My parents were really thoughtful with the name."

"Obviously." I laugh. "But, you were born around months that are names. April, May, June, and July. There could've been a possibility you could have one of those names."

"Good point." I say. We reach the bottom of the stairs and we're in the lobby. We step into the thin Washington air and Cody stands in front of me. "Thanks for walking with me." I say.

"Of course. It was nice." I just smile gently and walk to my car that's across the lot.

Harry POV {college}

"Oh look who it is." I say to Cody who is outside the building. His hand is running though his hair.

"Hey man."

"I would expect since you live here I'd see you more." I cross my arms over my chest. "How've you been?"

"Good." A smile forms on his lips. "I think I met a girl who I might like."

"Define like man." I laugh.

"I don't know, maybe possibly date."

"Well, is she cute?" I ask.

"She's smoking." A smirk appears on his mouth. Little crinkles form on the corners of his mouth.

"I'm happy for you. I gotta get to class. Text me, we need to catch up." Cody nods.

Before I walk away he stops me. "How's it going with you and your ex girlfriend?"

"She's an ex for a reason." I mutter.

"Do you think you guys would get together again?" He asks me. His voice questioning.

"Probably not. Why?"

"Just asking." His shoulders shrug. My eyebrows furrow and I just walk away.

Well that was odd.