Kiss Kiss Fall in Love

[Narrator POV]

I looked around and saw that no-one was about but I still wanted privacy to talk to him. “Um, let’s go outside. I think it’s more… private that way.” I gestured outside.

“Sure.”

I followed Yonghwa outside and sat down beside him on the steps. We were silent for a few moments though it felt for sure to be a hundred years, the way we sat and stared down the stairs. I picked up a loose thread from the black cardigan I wore and fidgeted, picking at the thread and rolling it between my fingers. He still didn’t say anything. I yawned, feeling tired after such a bad day and stretched.

“Remember that date at the restaurant?” He asked suddenly.

I thought for a moment and remembered that night where I met a guy who wore a mask and suit exuding the mysterious aura of someone who certainly knew they looked good. I nodded.

“That was me.”

“I know.” I had guessed that it was him the same night while in the taxi. That silver wrapped gift was a box of my favourite Pepero. No-one in Korea knew that I loved to eat these whenever I was bored or in the middle of studying or whenever I happened to see them and bought them on impulse. I never ate them in front of others, believing that I would be thought of as weird. But somehow, someone knew. I could only guess that it was Yonghwa as I had accidentally been eating it as I walked to work that morning and he was coming down the stairs behind me. I nearly chocked on the biscuit from trying to stuff it into my mouth.

The silence that followed my answer was unbelievably strange. My heart was racing and I could feel that my cheeks were once again, red as tomatoes. Yonghwa shifted slightly, his arm suddenly around my shoulders.

“You’re pretty smart. Then again, I suppose I didn’t hide my identity too well,” He said, looking at me.

I cupped my cheeks in my hands to hide my deepening blush from his scrutiny. He was sitting awfully close. I could feel the heat emanating from his body and tried to move away feeling embarrassed. This only caused him to tighten his hold on my shoulder causing me to topple over onto him.

“Ah. M-miahneyo. I’ll mov-“ His finger was on my lips, stopping me from speaking properly.

“Ani.” He helped me sit up, keeping his arm on my shoulder still. “So… I wanted to ask you… will you go out with me?”

“Mwo?”

“Come on. You heard me, and I know that Minhyuk and Jungshin have confessed to you too. I bet Jonghyun has as well…” He muttered.

Yonghwa turned away and blushed for the second time that day – no, that hour – and I couldn’t help but chuckle in response. I made him turn back around to face me and looked him in the eye.

“Yes. They have all confessed to me. Except… I’m not really sure about Jonghyun…” I tapped my chin, trying to remember if he ever did.

“So I was right…”

“Look. I get that you’re most likely jealous-“

“WHAT? No!”

“Shh, and I’m flattered that it seems you’ve all… fallen for me, I suppose. Though I really don’t know why… But… we’ll see.”

“What do you mean by, ‘We’ll see’?” He scoffed.

I blushed but kept going. “It means that I don’t know how to respond to all these confessions! I have been here barely a year and boom! I get four guys liking me already? I’m not THAT special.”

“You are.”

“No, I am not. I am probably the most average of girls and it’s only recently that I’ve become the generic idol ‘pretty’ and so on. I am plain,” I said, and steamrolled on. “Maybe it’s just you guys, maybe you haven’t dated enough girls and the first one you come across who seems a little different, you begin to like her. Or maybe it’s fascination with the fact that she’s different.”

“Woah. Slow down, Sun-hi!” He took my hand in his, clasping it tight. “I understand that we seemed to have rushed you perhaps… actually, most than perhaps. But, as much as I hate to say it, we all see you as someone special to us. It’s the first time we’ve met a girl who doesn’t start jumping all over us and asking for our autographs, stalking us nor doing any thing that seems even remotely like a fan girl. I mean, I know you’re a fan and all…” He ran a hand through his hair, taking a deep breath.

“Of course I’m a fan! I love your music and talent for instruments; I basically look up to you!” I remarked, sticking my tongue out at him. It’s why I wanted to come to Korea in the first place, taking the opportunity through my university!

“…Right. But we all genuinely like you and wish for you to be our other half. I’m definitely fighting for you while hoping that as a group, we don’t make enemies of each other.” He finished.

This was the exact reason why I hadn’t answered as well as my own confused feelings. I knew somewhere in my heart of hearts that I liked one of them but I also liked the others a lot too. Yonghwa moved closer and lifted up my chin.

“Okay. I know you’re conflicted about choosing one of us – There is only one of you – But I want to at least do this…” He whispered and leaned forward.

Yonghwa’s face came closer and on instinct, I closed my eyes, as his lips landed softly on mine. He was gentle and after a few seconds, he moved away. His kiss was soft and made my heart beat faster. I blushed instantly and remembered the time when Jonghyun had kissed me. He chuckled as he looked at my red face and gave me a hug.

“And that, is so that you’ll remember that I truly treasure you,” he laughed, standing up and brushing the dust from his pants. He helped me stand up and hugged me again.

“Yah, how many hugs do you want?” I was flustered and didn’t know what to do with my hands. Hug him back or not?  I ended up not, leaving my hands by my side.

Yonghwa let go and waved goodbye, saying good night. As I turned to go downstairs, he tugged on my hair. I turned around, coming face to face with him and he kissed my forehead as I was on a step lower than him. “Wah!” I covered my forehead, feeling embarrassed.

“Good night, sweet dreams~” Yonghwa called out. He was already within a safe distance from me. I really wanted to hit him right now.

“Whatever. Good night,” I mumbled and ran downstairs back to my apartment.

Just inside the doorway, I leaned against the door, sliding down into a squatting position. I placed my head on my knees, happy that I was liked by Yonghwa but also annoyed that he teased me so easily.

“Wait!” I looked up, recalling that I hadn’t seen Jungshin around. “Where could he be? Ah, he might be staying at the studio… avoiding me huh.”

I didn’t dwell on the thought of Jungshin too much, he only made me feel more upset and frustrated. I wanted to talk to him, tell him that he had misunderstood but he had ignored me and jumped to conclusions. I yawned, stretching my arms and moved sluggishly around my apartment, brushing my teeth and changing for bed.