Chapter Two

A week prior

Kaimana set his drink on the wooden table and studied the room. It was busy at this time of evening. Humans laughed and called out to each other. Liquid sloshed over the rims of cups as they knocked together. There was a smoky quality to the air, thanks to all the men who puffed away at their pipes. It seemed nearly all of them had one in their mouth or waving around in their hand while they spoke.

Across from him, Kestrel, his Commander and travel partner, set her own drink down with a grimace. Her long dark hair spilled over her shoulders, covering her ears and their secret.

It was remarkably easy to blend in among the humans if you only watched them for a short time and imitated their behavior. They'd never question you weren't one of them.

Kestrel leaned her elbows on the table. "This was our last lead," she said. "Is it time we head home?"

Now it was Kai's turn to grimace. He'd been sure this one would yield something, but like all the others, they'd only found a dead end.

"We've been gone a long time. The council is going to stop believing us," she added, tipping her mug and swirling the contents.

"The council can hang," Kai said.

Kestrel gave him a look. "We're going to have to tell them eventually."

"Tell them what? I've been searching for my dead sister in another world? That I suspect she never died, but by the way, I have no proof that she is still alive?"

"Neorah could—"

"No," Kai said. "Having Neorah tell the council what she told me will do nothing. If they won't believe their Prince, why would they believe a mere healer?"

"If we find her—"

"When," Kai corrected.

"When we find her," Kestrel said, "we'll have to tell them."

"And I have no problem with that, but first we need to find her and sitting around in this place will not help us do that."

Kestrel leaned back in her chair, crossing her arms over her chest. "What's your plan when we can't find her? And don't tell me we will. We've been searching for months with nothing to show for it. We need to be realistic about this. We need to be prepared for the possibility of losing our magic."

Kai shot a look around the room, checking to see if anyone had heard. He'd learned early on in his time with the humans that they were a superstitious lot and did not like the idea of magic. Not that he blamed them, given their past shared history.

When the raucous laughter continued and no looks were sent their way, Kai relaxed. No one had heard Kestrel's slip. Kestrel herself looked unrepentant, even though she knew what kind of trouble a slip like that could land them in.

"I am not ready to give up yet," he said. "Call it a feeling."

"I call it delusion," Kestrel mumbled under her breath.

He was about to retort when he heard a voice above the crowd. Kai tilted his head, trying to pinpoint where it was coming from. It took a moment to spot them.

A pair of travelers, by the look of it. One wore a cloak that had more patches than original fabric, while the other was dressed in a dark brown tunic and matching pants that were favored in this area.

"You've been there?" the man in dark brown was asking.

"Aye. I've seen it all covered in snow and unnatural like. Can't say it was worth the trip." He sucked down a gulp from his mug. "Don't know that I'd ever want to go back."