13. Colleagues

Depuis le début

The sound of motor vehicle dismissed the tension between us. Both Kimhan and I were distracted by the presence of unknown jeep, moving to our direction before it pulled to stop right behind Kimhan's truck. A young, feminine look lady went out first, rushing was the word I could tell as I watched her unloaded a few of plastic bags from the jeep. A minute later, another young gentleman appeared from the other side but differed from the lady, he looked calm and composed.

Could they be my colleagues? But where's the other female teacher?

"Well hello there!" The feminine one greeted me from a distance. She carried the load of goods she bought with her as she walked to me. "You must be the new teacher," She said, flashing an adorable smile.

"Yes... and you're my colleague?" I asked, wishing that I would not go wrong for by prediction. To my relief, she nodded at me.

I watched her dropped the things she carried to the ground carefully before she extended her hand to me for a handshake. "My name is Hongyok," She introduced herself. "Welcome here Ms..."

"I'm Pie. You can call me Pie," I took her hand in return as a polite gesture of introducing ourselves to each other.

"Pie?" She smiled somewhat amused by the name I told her. "Pie, that's Nan. She works here too," I swore to God that I almost freaked out when I heard Hongyok told me that the gentleman I saw was a woman like us too. Lord, what has gone wrong with the life today? First, Kimhan and now, this Nan?

"Hi there, Pie. Nice to meet you," Nan waved from the other side and should I tell that she owned a good voice?

Seconds later she was standing right next to Hongyok, facing me the new friends they got to meet for the first time. "Our apology for not being here to welcome you," Nan said. "But we can celebrate your arrival with some meal, shall we?" She showed the goods she brought in her hand to me which later I found to be some raw materials for cook.

"Nan is a good cook," Hongyok nudged the other girl teasing. "Come, let's treat you with good food," Hongyok beckoned me to move to the house.

"I'm going back now, Pie." Kimhan who had been silent for quite some time spoke. Her voice caught all of us, that the previously invisible Kimhan now become noticeable to both Hongyok and Nan.

"Oh, we didn't realise that she's here, aren't we?" Hongyok gasped a little, looking somewhat guilty for not noticing Kimhan's presence there with us.

Kimhan smiled at her but it was nothing but bitter one. "Please take a good care of Pie. I'm going to visit her later," Kim told her and all of us watched her made her way back to the old truck.

"Would you like to stay and have our treat?" Nan spoke all of sudden that her offer stopped Kimhan on her track. "Come and join us. You're the guest and I guess you're related to Pie," Nan said, glancing at me once before she looked at Kimhan again.

Hesitated, Kimhan shook her head. "It's alright. I have some works to do," Kimhan said.

"Oh come on," No one expected Hongyok would insist for Kimhan to stay for a while. "The more the merrier," She stated.

Then both of the young teachers looked at me expectantly, waiting for a word or two to convince Kimhan to stay. Only if they knew how much I wished I could get rid of Kimhan. "You haven't eaten anything since morning Kimhan. How could you not accept their offer?" I spoke something which totally opposing my thought.

Kimhan turned around with a smug look on her face upon any second her eyes met mine. Speak whatever you wished to speak in your mind Kimhan. I did it for their favour.