Chapter 4

My eyes began to slowly flutter open, they glide across the room and land on Mr. Angle. He's sitting in a chair beside me, looking tired but still focused.

"Welcome back, Marie" he whispers to me and smiles.

"Hello" I answer weakly, with a hoarse voice.

All of sudden I feel pain consuming my body, I grab at my side which immediately takes my breath away and makes my eyes water. Mr. Angle rises from his seat with a concerned look across his face and begins looking at my wounds. He lifts up my shirt and examines me, I blush even through the agony.

"What are you doing?" I cover myself immediately, looking up at him nervously.

"Checking your wounds; it's all right, I'm not looking at anything else." He smiles and feels my ribs. I screech in pain, it was like I was being stabbed all over my body.

"You broke 5 or 6 ribs" he explains, pulling my shirt back down.

"Your collarbone is broken as well" he looks down at me sympathetically.

"Why are you helping me?" I ask, observing his handsome features.

He had light brown hair that was cut just above his ear. Full lips and piercing eyes. He is the first Nazi that actually looks attractive in their uniform...

"I couldn't just leave you there" He looks away nervously making me furrow my eyebrows in confusion. What an odd thing to say.

"But, I'm a Jew" I remind him, looking down at my hands in embarrassment.

He lifts my chin so our eyes meet, I feel a sudden breathlessness overcome me.

"Doesn't mean I can't help you," his smile was calming and sweet, a feeling greatly appreciated right now.

I try to sit up but suddenly feel like a stack of bricks are thrown at me, I fall back against my pillow but try to catch myself with my elbows.

"Just Lie down and relax."

"I can't, I'll get in trouble and so will you." I shake my head and plead with my eyes. He places his large yet soft hand on my shoulder. He slowly pushes me back against my soft pillow.

"Don't worry, it's all under control." I look up and lock eyes with him again. I reluctantly break a smile, my first time doing so since I've arrived here.

But I never thought I would be smiling at a Nazi.

Mr. Angle takes a step back and sits down in his chair again, still looking at me as if I were fascinating.

We sit in silence for a few seconds, I glance at him and notice he was still focused on me, but not in an angry or aggressive way like most of the soldiers.

"So tell me about yourself." He breaks the silence, asking me with his fingers intertwined and placed upon his knee, he seemed sophisticated, like perhaps he had a more wealthy upbringing.

"Well I have a brother," he nods at my comment.

"I'm 19" his face lit up in an odd way, but I don't know why.

"I'm 21." He smiles at me, he was practically my age.

"Wow, you're so young to be doing this" my eyebrows came together making a frown. How could anyone be able to do what these men do.

"I was forced" he explains, his face changes from bright to cold. His emotions and clear frustration makes me feel safer and a bit more content around him.

If he was forced to be a soldier, like most of these young men probably were, he may not even hold the same beliefs as the horrid men in charge.

"Oh, I'm sorry" I look down at the floor, he stares blankly across the room. I probably upset him with my question. I guess everyone suffers in this war, not only the Jews.

"Are you sure you won't get in trouble for helping me?" I ask again, looking back up at him. He turns his head towards me, no longer in deep thought.

"You're a broken record, Marie." I giggle slightly at his comment. I guess I was. But this was extremely dangerous for us both, especially if no one knew he was doing it.

"I'm not actually 'helping' you, I'm making sure you don't do anything bad" he winks at me and smirks.

I blush, which he notices quite quickly. His smirk deepens at this, as if he accomplished something.

"I know you didn't do anything wrong." He admits.

"Then who told him that I stole?" He frowns.

"Another one of the girls" he adjusts his hat and uniform.

"Oh" I'm gonna kill that girl when I find her!

"What's her name?" I ask a little too sweetly, Mr. Angle notices and chuckles

"Her names Anna" he crosses his arms and sits back in his chair

Well this Anna girl is gonna get taught a lesson or two

I smirk to myself looking up at the ceiling

------

3 days later

Mr. Angles POV

"She needs to get back to work!" Captain Holt yells, violently smacking books on the bookshelf.

"Yes, I understand but she still can't walk very well" I defended Marie, walking closer to him

"I'll give her 1 more week and if she's not working by then..." He pauses

"There will be punishments" he grins evilly and places another book on his extremely large bookshelf, which covers the whole back wall of his office

I gulp and turn to walk out of captain Holts office

Maris needs to start walking soon, I wouldn't be able to see her being beaten.

And knowing captain holt, he'll make me watch my friend being hurt in many ways that I can't bear to see.

-----
Still Mr. Angles POV

"Damn it!" I hear Marie yell from inside the office

I open the door slowly and take in the sight in front of me

Marie was attempting to change

Her breasts were exposed which made me immediately look away and blush.

"Marie, I'm coming in" I make sure she is aware of my presence, making sure to cover my eyes

"Oh stop being a wuss and help me change" she laughs as I uncover my eyes trying not to stare at her exposed skin

"It hurts so much, I couldn't do it"

"It's all right" I smile and pull the shirt over her head, covering her.

I'm very shy around the opposite sex...

She bit her bottom lip and looked up at me, wow I never actually looked into her eyes. They were blue and beautifully round.

What am I saying? I can't think this way! We'll both get killed, and what good would that do?

"Captain Holt said you had one week to get back to work" I sigh

"It's late sir, we can work on it tomorrow" her smile was sweet and innocent. She gets into her bed and places the blanket over her body

Sir, that sounded terrible coming from her lips.

"Don't call me sir, call me Bernard or berry as some people call me" She smiles widely as if she was relieved

"A-Alright then si... I mean Bernard" she corrects herself and pulls the blanket up to her chin.

"Goodnight, Bernard. She smiles and closes her eyes.

I exit the room closing the door behind me. As I began to walk away with a giant smile plastered on my face, someone pulls me into a closet and pushes me to the ground.

----

Vote comment and follow if you want!