The Gate Keeper

© 2017 SilverStream22. All Rights Reserved.    

~  

I bet they planned it all out

Like the shows

Went everywhere I go
Walked into the store right behind me
Stood in line right beside me and followed me to my home  

~  

After several days of rewinding and spilling the beans about all the shit that went down in the Underworld and in Valhalla, I decided it was time to make a very important phone call.

Standing in the payphone booth, I noticed that it wasn't very large- especially with Jasper and Draver in it with me.

"Jazz, Draver, I really need space. Step out. I'll be fine." I insisted, shooing them out.

They both gave me the subtlest of kicked puppy dog looks (which I doubt they even realized that they were doing) before they shimmied out.

I found myself tugging at the cord, twirling it around my finger as I anxiously waited for her to pick up.

"Hello?" her voice sounded tired, and she'd probably been crying her eyes out.

"Hey, it's me." I said softly, not realizing that I was choking up as I made the call. I cleared my throat and attempted to speak again, this time more firmly, but she cut me off.

"Faye!" she cried out, "Oh sugar plum, I was so worried about you! I tried to get a hold of those Lycan twins, but they were gone as well. Are you okay? Are you hurt? Come over, I'll give you some Early Grey. It's almost tea time and I-"

"Molly, I can't be there right now. I've got some things that I need to handle. But I'll be home soon. I promise."

At that moment, I felt immensely disappointed in myself over something that I had no control over. This woman had taken me, looked after me like I was her own blood. She did her best to protect me, even at the orphanage, and when I got recycled through the foster system. I made her go crazy out of her mind with worry over me- someone who she saw as her child. And in all aspects save for blood, I was her child. And as a daughter, I never felt as if I'd done anything as morally wrong as not letting Molly know that I was okay as soon as I arrived here from Asgard.

"What do you mean you can't come?" her sniffled voice chipped at my heart. "Is it stuff with the college? Honey buns, I know that not getting your degree from NYU can be upsetting, but that's to be expected when you skipped finals. Are you sure you're okay? Not involved in anything shady?"

I stiffened, and suddenly human Faye was propelled into the driver's seat. "Wait, what? I missed finals?"

"Why of course; you've been gone for a week."

"Holy shit." I breathed. "Molly, I'm coming over. How strong are those strings you have in NYU?"

~

Less than an hour later, I was in Molly's house. The place I spent my teenage years growing up in was still the same; a clash of modern and festive décor was thrown haphazardly around the house.

Molly was scrubbing the granite island furiously, her face flushed and her mardi gras beads swinging as she exerted pressure on the rag she used.

I knew she did that- clean like a crazed robot- when she was upset, anxious, or scared.

"Where were you?" she said finally, her tone betraying nothing.

I cleared my throat, feeling Jasper and Draver comforting presence from across the room where they sat on the couches in the living room while Molly and I were in the open kitchen.