Chapter eighteen

Hey guys here's another update! Finally.

I'm not sure if I like this chapter or not...but comment and vote to let me know your thoughts! 

Chapter eighteen

I woke up to the sound of beeping and something scratching my nose. I opened to my eyes to blinding lights and groaned once I realized that I was in a hospital bed.

“Hey sleepy head,” Trey said smiling at me from a chair next to my bed.

“So this is just a suggestion,” I said with a raspy voice. “I don’t think we should party with Dean much anymore.” Trey shook his head and laughed. “Just you know with all the yelling and the spiking of the drinks and the houses catching fire, I think it’d be better to just not party with him anymore.”

“That sounds like a good idea,” Trey said still laughing.

“And I mean as fun as waking up in hospitals is I just think it’d be better to avoid it.”

“Even when you’re in the hospital you’re still sarcastic as all hell,” he said disbelievingly.

“What else would I be?” I laughed but it quickly turned into a cough.

His face turned serious and he grabbed my hand with his. “You’re fine. I just want you to know that you’re fine. You just inhaled too much smoke and you’re here because you need more oxygen, but we get to take you home today, in fact Ian is probably filling out all the annoying paperwork right now.”

“So I’m fine?” I asked with a small smile at how frazzled he sounded.

“You’re so fine that Ian talked your parents out of flying up here immediately. That’s how fine you are.” I laughed and he shook his head before laughing along with me. He glanced at the clock on the wall before pushing himself to his feet. “I’ll go see if Ian’s done, then we can get out of here and back to the house and everyone else.”

“Jace isn’t here?”

He scrunched his eyebrows at me. “No…he stayed at the house with everyone else to try and calm them down.”

“Oh, ok,” I said as he walked out into the hall.

After going back into a burning building for me you’d think he would’ve stayed at the hospital as well. But I guess if Lianne and Zoey and Zalee were all freaking out they’d need one of the older kids to stay back with them.

Although I kinda wish it had been Trey who’d stayed home with them.

**************

I got home a few hours later and was immediately handed the house phone where my mother’s worried voice made me grit my teeth. “Melissa? Melissa are you alright?”

“Yes mother,” I sighed. “I’m fine.”

“What happened?”

“I’m not sure…I fell asleep upstairs and the next thing I know the house was on fire,” I said repeating exactly what I had said to the cops. Although I left out the part where I was sure someone had left a joint somewhere and that was what had started the fire.

“And whose house was this?” She demanded.

“Our friend Deans.”

“I don’t want you hanging out with people like that anymore Melissa, it’s dangerous.”

“People like what?” I asked getting frustrated even though I had no desire to go near Dean and his idiot friends anytime soon again. “People that accidentally get their houses caught on fire? It could’ve been a candle, mom.”