Part 43

Lachi's mind twigged twice and she stopped looking behind the army that was approaching closer to the caves. Her heart struggled with her mind, without giving another thought she reached near the caves.

Everyone seems to be sleeping, her mission was to pick the influential weapon that was recently made by the goons to spread the danger across the entire village. Sneaking towards the right side of the cave she saw Lotiya putting bullets in his gun,

He smiled at her "Lachi, this time. What happened?"

"I wanted to give you a prize" she retorted back

"Prize?" Lotiya gave a complete puzzled look at the dark girl who no doubt looked angry

"Prize for ditching me and making love with Kasturi" she shouted

Lotiya immediately tried to embrace her "no, you're thinking wrong Lachi..."

"I have seen with my eyes. Stop fooling me Lotiya" she said without responding to his embrace and instead pushed him away...

Her eyes fell on the weapon,

Lotiya never wanted to loose Lachi in any way "Kasturi forced me but you know I love you"

"Really?" she yelled in anger and picked up the side of the weapon and threw the box away

"Lachi, what have you done" Lotiya angrily stared at her then rushed outside to looks for the part of the weapon

The moment he stepped out his eyes fell on the army standing out...Veer scowled at Lotiya who almost stood still at the scene...

"Sometimes freezing is the best of the choices, and let's face it" Veer said smirking at his face

Lotiya's body wanted to either run fast for the hills to find weaponry, but instead he stayed right where he was...

Lachi wanted to quell the hammering in her chest, as to close her eyes before looking at the blood all around.

She was advised to move away from the area... while Veer hit him with tight punches all over his face and chest. Adrenaline coursed through his system as a fight or flight instinct.

Gunshots rang out from all around him, his heart beat in his chest, pounding, banging, and trying to get out. He tried to run forward but failed as Veer's tight grip didn't let him nudge away.

For Lotiya every second was facing death, he felt as though his blood were on fire. His limbs were moving on their own. He was disconnected from everything but the ever present sound of his drumming heart.

It didn't take much time for the army to get rid of the goons...

Lachi walked down the hill... The gunshots cracked into the air as loud as thunder but without the raw power of a storm. In comparison they were tinny and small, coming from one direction only, the caves. The noise reverberated in her ears and rang out far over the hills.

With moist eyes she kept walking back to the village. Finally the villagers got their independence. She smiled.

-------------------------

Aarti was still standing in the queue to meet the collector in the town. She had heard a lot about him from the people muttering from all sides... plus the morning sun was not leaving a chance to throw the heat on her fair face.