Part 6

Levi roused himself from sleep, eyes still shut, he shuffled to the left side of the bed and inhaled the scent still lingering on the pillow. It was hers, and the only thing he had left of her, merely a memory of her. Sometimes he would even ponder on what it would be like to wake up next to her, her features glowing from the morning sun. He opened his eyes angry at his dozing self for even entertaining the idea.

He got up feeling on edge, something didn't sit right with him this morning. He pushed the thought aside and began his morning routine. He had just finished pulling on his boots when he heard someone crashing into his office. Levi growled at the ill manners of the intruder and stormed into his office, ready to reprimand the cadet. To his surprise there was a man he had never seen before, heaving with exhaustion and clutching something in his hand.

Levi glanced out of the window to see a horse tied up outside that wasn't one of the Corps usual stallions. He scowled back at the man, who was making his way closer to him with his arm outstretched. He wasn't wearing uniform, and looked like he was a city dweller.

"Are you Captain Levi?" The man said, rushing his question. Levi nodded, feeling somewhat bemused by the situation. "This came from a girl from the Military Police, things are really bad. She needs you." Levi grabbed the note from his hand, and motioned the man to sit down. The writing was awful, hurried and messy.

Levi,

Code black, No time to say.

Varga's gone off deep end. Eren and team know more.

He just murdered someone, fellow officer is in danger!

I need you! Now.

Hurry.

Please.

At the bottom of the note was a single scrawled letter. He knew it was (first name). Levi looked up from the note. It didn't really tell him a lot, but he knew that she wouldn't have reached out if it wasn't a dire situation. Code Black? That was a Military Police term, which he hadn't heard in years, but one that meant things were well and truly fucked.

"When did she write this?" Levi asked briskly.

"Late last night, I haven't stopped riding since I was handed it." He was still out of breath and looked awful. Levi directed him to the kitchens to get refreshment, and made his way to Erwin's office, he was bound to listen to him now.

Levi didn't knock at his door either, and stormed in with the letter in hand. Erwin was sitting on his sofa with report files balanced on his knee, drinking a cup of coffee. Levi threw the letter at him, but stayed silent. Erwin scanned the note, and stared blankly at Levi, sighing.

"It is nothing to do with us Levi, the chain of command is set in stone. We cannot interfere."

"This is fucking outrageous! She is one of us, and she needs our help!" Levi was seething with the inaction or bother of his higher-up.

"That as it may, I cannot sanction any action for matters within the Military Police. Its not something I can do. Levi, look, I know you care for her, and I understand that you want to help her but it really is completely out of our control. Don't be a fool." His voice was calm but rigid in its manner, he was not going to back down.

"I told you from the start it was a stupid fucking idea." Trying to keep his voice to a respectful volume.

"I had orders as well Levi, and that is what I was told to do. If you read the letter again, it doesnt say that she has been harmed in anyway, does it? So there is nothing to fear. Varga will be taken in and dealt with. (Last name) will be fine."