Chapter Ten: The Healer

Start from the beginning

We use the alcohol to clean our cuts. Gediyon rips part of the prince's sleeve and uses it to bandage his bleeding forearm. Nichols dabs the alcohol against my shoulder, which makes me hiss through my teeth in pain, then he also helps to dress my wound.

When we're done, Gediyon says, "Please come with me, Michelle. I'll help you turn the ship invisible."

We stand on the highest point on deck, and Gediyon sends a wind barrier around the ship. It shimmers, and I concentrate to make the inside invisible to outsiders. It takes longer than I'd like because I keep changing my mind about how I want it to work—whether it's a shadow, mirror, if it's impenetrable, if Gediyon needs to maintain it for the entire night... Once I'm satisfied, Gediyon and I walk through the wind barrier to the beach, and looking up, we can only see the sky. We did it!

"I'm going to search for the others," he tells me. "I shouldn't be long."

"What if someone does find us?" I ask. "Like if another mutant sniffs us out?"

"You, Launce, and Nichols will make a great team." He says it with such confidence, but I don't think the boys trust themselves that much. Then he adds, "Don't worry," and starts off for the trees.

"What about Jason—Jaysonn? Should we try to wake him up?"

"Let Jayse sleep it off, but keep an eye on him."

I sigh. "All right. Be careful, Gediyon!"

"Of course." He nods and then leaves. When I turn around, I have to crawl and feel for the ramp until I pass the barrier. On deck, Nichols holds a jar of some glowing jelly. He's reaching into it and throwing handfuls of it around the deck. In midair, they turn into brightly glowing balls of light.

Launce sits next to the prince, and I tell them what Gediyon is up to. Nichols repeats my concerns, but Launce tries to reassure us, "Did you see that smile on the Taesmal King's face when he walked out? He thought the sacrifice worked, so until someone else sees that the prince is alive, we should be safe."

It's a good thing that no one else can see us on deck here.

"We do make a good team," Nichols says.

The three of us look at each other in silent agreement.

I look at the prince—I mean, I can't help it. He seems to be sleeping fine. It doesn't look like he's having any trouble breathing...

Okay, I'm staring at him again, but can you blame me? I might be able to call Gediyon handsome, but I don't know if any words in the human language can describe Jaysonn's looks. I guess it's expected, considering his mom is so beautiful, but I don't expect her son would look so... so...

"Why didn't you tell me he wasn't five years old?" I blurt out.

Launce raises an eyebrow. "Who said he was five?"

"And all this time, I thought I was going to meet some annoying righteous perfect girl, or maybe an adorable little kid, but I get this guy as the healer? This is all wrong! He doesn't fit the role. I mean, look at him! He looks more like a hero than a support character."

Nichols smirks at me. "You like him, don't you?"

I turn my back to them. "This is wrong! This is wrong!"

The healer is freaking hot.

I scream and fall into a sitting position on deck before I realize it'll hurt my butt.

"This isn't right! Someone is screwing with me! Next thing you know, a meteor is gonna fall out of the sky and pop and shower everyone with candy and confetti!" I look over at Launce and Nichols. "And what are you guys, fairies? Oh and guess what! I'm your father!" I laugh hysterically.