01

Jaisun Powell

THE BEGINNING OF AN END

For most people at this school, Senior year is the time where most students spend their last year doing absolutely nothing.

But not me.

I'm trying to go to a College of the Arts in San Francisco but I have no extra curricular activities to show them that I am talented whatsoever.

"This year is the year I'm going to do something great." I continue to say to myself.

"No distractions."

The knocking on my bedroom door dragged me back into reality, followed by my mother's voice.

"Jaisun, who are you talking to? Better not be no boy in there." she said, before letting herself in.

She began exploring my room, examining every stuffed animal, every poster on the wall, and began to tear up.

"My little boy is a senior." she walked over to me and caressed my head.

This same scene has happened so many times, I could repeat everything she was going to say word for word.

My baby is growing up so fast

"My baby is growing up so fast."

Soon you're not gonna need your mama anymore

"Soon you're not gonna need your mama anymore."

And last but not least....

You still won't be messing with no boys

"I think it's time to let you get a little boyfriend."

What?

Her words caught me offguard. This was the first time my mother ever gave me the approval of boys.

I was speechless, i could do nothing but furrow my brows at her.

"Mom..." I managed to spit out.

"Don't give me that look, I'm serious.  When you go to college you're going to need someone to protect your little butt." She explained, still rubbing my head.

A grin forced its self on my face. I loved my mother so much. She was so understanding and I couldn't ask for a better supporter in my life.

"I love you, mom." I stood up and embraced her in a hug as i slightly towered over her.

"I love you too, baby. Now hurry up and get ready. Your sperm donor...I mean father is taking you to school."

The reminder of having to go to school killed my vibe completely. I hate everyone there. All the way from the Principal to Mark the custodian.

I let out a sigh and followed her out the door.

Heading down the stares, i kissed my mother on the cheek and headed towards the car.

"Jaisun..." she called, standing in the doorway.

"Hmm?"

"Try to make some friends this year."

I shot her a smirk before getting into the car.

"No promises."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trying to get back into the swing of writing.

Hope you enjoy!