Chapter 3

I groan waking up. I'm still in the floor. I move to get up but I cry out in pain. Gasping for air I close my eyes tightly.

Then I remember Haley. My eyes snap open and I look under the bed. She is staring at me dried tear stains on her cheeks.

I grit my teeth and slowly push my self up. I grunt and whimper in pain grabbing my side. I cough up blood closing my eyes tightly.

I look up and out the window. It's dark now. I look down at Haley. "It's time too go Hun. "

Haley nods and slowly crawls out from under the bed. I stand up gasping and grunting in pain again. I limp to the door Haley following after me quietly.

We walk down the stairs after I make sure it's clear. We walk out of the front door and towards the woods. As we walk the pain turns dull. I can tell my ribs are broken. But I won't stop until I know Haley is safe.

----------------------------------------------

I don't know how long we have been on the run. It feels like two weeks. But I'm not entirely sure. We've made a camp out. I'm still in pain but I hide it for Haley. I'm not sure if anyone even knows we are missing.

I haven't slept in two weeks. I watch after Haley. I lie too her saying that I sleep. But I don't know what out here in these woods. If I think there is a threat I make her climb a tree and I scare away that threat by growling lowly.

I hunt without shifting into my tiger. I know it will just hurt me more when I turn back to my human form. So I'm going to save the shifting for if a big danger, like those of wolves attacking us. Or bears. Anything that could kill Haley easily.

I know Haley is worried for me but I tell her not to be. I sigh looking down at her curled up asleep in the bed of leaves I've made for her. I smile knowing she won't get beat anymore.

I'm glad I won't. I'm surprised that I haven't healed though. I cough up blood a lot. But I manage to hide it from Haley.

I lean my head back against the tree staring up through the trees at the sky. I start humming quietly. Before I realize something. I'm seventeen and I will be starting heat a month before my eighteenth birthday.

So I would be starting heat soon. I suppress a growl. You see. Werecats start heat at the age at the last month of being seventeen wether they find their mate or not.

I sigh inwardly continuing to stare up at the stars. I start humming again closing my eyes. But I didn't fall asleep. My eyes stayed closed until I seen the sunlight trying to shine through my eye lids.

I let my eyes flutter open glancing around. I look down at Haley and decides to let her sleep a little longer I stand up in search of food.

A few minutes later I return with two squirrels and a rabbit. As soon as I start the fire Haley starts to wake up. I put on a smile through the pain. "Well good morning sleepy head!"

She giggles and crawls over to me. "Morning Clara! What do we have for breakfast today?"

I lie. "Well you get too have this rabbit and two squirrels. I ate before you woke up!"

She smiles and nods. I know it's wrong to lie. But she has her whole life ahead of her. I don't have much longer if I don't heal any time soon.

Smiling I watch her eat her food after I cook them over the fire. She offers me some like she does everyday but I kindly decline it.

I stand up stomping out the fire. "Ready to go?" 

Haley nods standing up burying the bones of the rabbit and squirrels under leaves. I stand up holding back a wince smiling down at Haley holding my hand out too her.