Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter VIII)

Start from the beginning

"And my sister?" asked Krispyn.

"She seems to have disappeared along with Galdin," answered Shelwyk.

Krispyn's face remained impassive.  He flung the walnuts away.  "And no one knows her whereabouts?"

"I'm sorry, my lord," answered Shelwyk.

"This is the second time I have lost my sister.  Do not make it a third."

"Yes, my king," said Shelwyk, "I will send a search party for her."

"No," said Krispyn, "If she were dead we would know it.  If the invaders had captured her they would have sent for ransom.  My sister still lives and I've no doubt that she will come to us."

"You can presume, my lord, that the barbarian invaders will be heading here next," said Shelwyk.

"What makes you so certain?" asked Krispyn.

"They have burned much of Belyndril and will have ravaged MurDair shortly.  Once that is done, they will have little choice but to cross the mountains."

"Which will make Hemíl the next target," said Krispyn, "Send reinforcements there."

"My lord?"

"I will not have it so easily taken," said Krispyn, "You have your orders."

"Yes, my king."  Shelwyk saluted and left the chamber.

"And, Shelwyk," said Krispyn, "Where were you the last few days?"

"My lord?"

"For the last several months you seem to disappear completely for days at a time."

"My apologies, my lord," said Shelwyk, "My mother is ailing and I try to visit as often as I can."

"I shall have her brought to the palace then."

"No need, my king.  The slightest upset could end her."

"Very well.  See to it that you inform me of your absences before you take them."

"Yes, my lord."

Shelwyk hurried out of the room unaware that he walked right past Petra, who remained concealed in the shadows.

 *                  *                  *

 The snarling and growling of the creature caused their pulse to quicken.  Dirt crunched as the animal placed its massive claw on the ground sniffing the air.

They huddled behind rocks to stay out of sight, but nothing could mask their scent.  Its breath came in snorts as its nose ran across the ground hunting for the odor of its prey.

Artryl moved from his hiding place and climbed on the rocks for a better look.

"Artryl," hissed Narúl, "Get back here."

The boy ignored the man as he scrambled up the rocks and peeked over them.  The strange creature scoured the ground sniffing and snorting as it went.  Artryl studied it, recognizing it from his books.

Artryl slipped.  Pebbles clacked as they rolled down away from the boy.  The creature's head popped up abruptly.  It stared at Artryl.  Suddenly, the thing rushed toward the boy pinning him against the ground.  Its mucus encrusted nose brushed over Artryl as it breathed deeply memorizing his scent.  Artryl squirmed, but to no avail.

Narúl moved to help the boy, but Ryk caught his arm.  "Let me go," said Narúl.

"No, look," said Ryk pointing at the creature as it breathed on Artryl.

The thing snorted, blowing bits of mucus onto Artryl; the chain around its neck clinking.  It snapped its jaws shut and darted off leaving them alone in the wilderness.

"What was that?" asked Ryk.

"Niht'anda," said Artryl as he brushed himself off, "But I thought they were extinct.  No one has seen one in over 500 years."

"Its behavior is odd," said Narúl.

"I don't think it is wild," said Artryl, "It had a collar.  But I have never known one to have been domesticated."

"It didn't seem very tame to me," said Ryk.  "But it does seem to be searching for something."

"How do you mean?" asked Narúl.

"It could have killed the boy here, but didn't," Ryk said, "That means it is meant to find—"

"Galdin," interrupted Narúl.

"How can you be sure?" asked Ryk.

"Who else could it be?" replied Narúl.

"Nylana," Ryk replied.

"Unlikely," said Narúl.

"We should follow it," said Artryl.  "Tabs, you can follow it more closely than us.  I want you to stay close, but not too close.  The rest of us will keep a greater distance."

"And how are we going to know when we have found him?" asked Ryk.

"Trog," replied Artryl, "Trog will let us know when we have found Galdin and perhaps we can still get to him before that thing does."

"I don't like the idea of following that thing," said Ryk, turning toward Narúl.

"But at least we'll know where it is," said Artryl.

Narúl rubbed his chin a moment pondering over the boy's words.  "We will chase after it for a few days, after which we will work our way around it as we try to beat it toward Galdin.  Tabs, do as the boy says, but do not get too close and be mindful of where we are."

The cat bounded off without protest.

"I still do not like this idea," Ryk said.

"You don't have to like it," replied Narúl.

  Tune back Next Friday for the next chapter.

You can buy this book and the rest of the Legends Lost series at Amazon, B&N, Kobo, iBooks, and Smashwords. You can follow me on Twitter (JMRUL), or like my Facebook page. For more information, see www.legendslosttrilogy.com. Your support is appreciated. Thanks for reading!