Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 2, Chapter V)

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Tami stepped onto the rock delicately crossing it with grace.  Following suit, Galdin walked across.  Pebbles clacked below with each step he took.

 *                  *                  *

 Krispyn stood alone in the torchlight.  He knew that the council watched him carefully and his handling of the barbarian invasion, but he had other matters on his mind.  The careful footsteps of a wizard approached from behind.

“Why do you walk so silently?” asked Krispyn.

“I did not wish to disturb you,” answered Petra.

“And yet you are here.  What news do you bring?”

“La’nar has fallen and Lord Trisk is believed to be among the dead.”

“And Nylana?”  Krispyn faced Petra, his face concealed by dancing shadows.

“No word about her,” answered Petra, “She most likely made it out alive.”

“What makes you say that?”

“Until I know for certain that she is otherwise, I’d rather believe that she still lives,” said Petra.

“Thank you, Petra, for telling me.  As always your council proves most comforting.”  Krispyn left with the solemn posture of one wanting to be alone.

 *                  *                  *

 Narúl and the others followed after Trog hoping they went in the right direction.  The commotion at the fort had told them that Galdin had escaped.  Right before they planned to go in, the gates opened and barbarian soldiers trooped out.  From the shouts and yells, Narúl knew that Galdin had escaped.  He decided they would trail behind the force sent to recapture him.  After the first two days, Narúl thought it best to cease following the barbarian force, knowing that Galdin would not remain on the main trails.  Once again, they relied on Trog to find their friend before the others did.

“I want to know why you left Norlyk,” Narúl said to Artryl as they walked.

“I wanted to help,” said Artryl, sheepishly.

“I told you to stay put,” scolded Narúl, “This is no place for a child.”

“I’m not a child!  I am thirteen.”

“And with much to learn,” said Narúl.

“I can help,” pleaded Artryl.

“Once we find Galdin, you are going back.”

“No.”

“Do not test me.”

“I will not go back,” said Artryl, “You need me.”

Narúl’s face twitched from anger.  The boy’s obstinence wore on him.  “These lands are overrun by these savages.  For your own safety, you must return.”

“You need me.”

“We shall see,” said Narúl.

They came to dead end and stared at the wall of rock.

“Where would he have gone?” asked Tabs.  “He could not have climbed this.”

Trog pranced around sniffing the ground and the wall.  He sat back on his haunches looking up with his tongue lolling out of his mouth.

“What if they did?” said Ryk.  “Galdin might have climbed up there to get away.”

“It is too steep,” said Narúl.