Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XVI)

Start from the beginning

“So weak,” mumbled Vasagius to himself as he watched people attempt to flee.  “Burn it all.  Leave none alive.”

 *                  *                  *

“We are glad to have you returned to us safely, my lady,” said Byron, the ambassador from Hemίl.  “As always, we appreciate your input on the council’s decision.”

“Thank you, Byron,” said Nylana.

“The council’s decision concerning Krispyn is meaningless as the true heir of Tesnayr has returned,” said the wizard.

“What do you mean?” asked Byron.

“Nylana’s first brother, Galdin, has returned.  By law he is the rightful heir to the throne and Krispyn must step aside.”

“Step aside?  Have my years as king meant nothing?” demanded Krispyn.  “I have given much to the lands of Tesnayr and you are going to throw me aside with the scraps?”

“Krispyn we do not mean—”

“Mean what?  To toss me aside?  This man only just arrived and already you are willing to hand him the throne.  Where was he when Tesnayr needed him most?”

“He only just learned the truth,” said Nylana, “We all have only just learned of his survival.  And he did save me from a life of slavery.”

“For which I will always be grateful,” said Krispyn, “But how do you know he is your lost brother?”

“He bears the mark,” said the wizard.  “It is him.”

“The mark?  Next you will be telling us that the sorceress has returned,” mocked Felize.

“Sorceress?” asked Galdin.

“There is a story,” began Nylana, “That at a time when Tesnayr is in grave danger, Quesha, the sorceress will return for the last time.”

“Foolishness, really,” added Krispyn.

“Is that so?” said a silky voice, “Of course, you would know all about it wouldn’t you?”  Appearing from a far corner within the court was a tall, elegant woman.  “Allow me to introduce myself.  I am Quesha du’Adieu and I have returned.” 

Everyone stared at the stranger.  She approached Galdin with a gracefulness none could ever hope to possess.  “Heir you may be,” she whispered to him, “But you will never sit on the throne.”

“I don’t understand,” said Galdin.

“Oh, take it if it is offered.”  Her breath moistened Galdin’s ear.  “But remember this: only the one with the sword, the phoenix, and the horn can command the throne.”

“Do you know whom that will be?” asked Galdin.

“I know not,” replied Quesha.  “But this I do know.”  At that instant Quesha repeated the lines of a child’s song that all within the five lands knew well.

When darkness looms

And all is gloom

Two will rise

Bearing the mark combined.

One, the phoenix dwells within

And hope he shall restore.

A gift he needs from its glen

And a tear from old lore

And one item more

The other, harsh punishment will he bear.

To keep alive a people’s soul, he must spare

Them sorrow’s pain and betrayal’s snare.