Legends Lost: Galdin (Book 1, Chapter XII)

Start from the beginning

"I shudder to think of what will happen when he finds out," said Nylana.

"Doesn't matter. We will be long gone," replied Ryk.

"Perhaps I should leave you behind."

"My lady, vengeance does not become you."

"How much did you get?" asked Galdin.

"150 gold coins. Enough to barter passage on the ship and a little extra for food," said Ryk.

Trya grabbed the coins from Ryk. "I'll take those," she said before he could protest.

The elf walked over to the ticket master, handed over the coins, and came back with four tickets. She gave one to each of them. "Let's move."

They walked up the plank to the ship with the crowd unaware that a cloaked figure watched them. He slipped in behind, following the line of people boarding the ship.

"Tickets," said the man standing guard at the top.

They handed over their tickets. The man waved them on board. Gradually, the four companions worked their way to a secluded area near the back of the boat to bunk down until the ship set sail.

"Hoist the sails," shouted the captain, checking the onboard sundial.

Crewmen scurried about carrying out his orders. Others brought up the anchor. As the activity continued, the ship lurched slightly moving slowly away from the dock and into the open water.

"Let's go below," said Galdin. "Remember, we wish to go unnoticed."

Nylana grunted. Did he think they were idiots? The last thing any of them wanted was to draw attention.

The cargo hold below deck reeked of unwashed passengers, urine and rotten food. Raucous laughter and flat music pounded their ears. Men dressed in dark leather passed the time by arm wrestling each other spilling half-full containers of mead. One man in front, and clearly the leader, pounded the table with his fist while talking with another.

Slowly, they wormed their way through the crowd toward a table that had some food and a barrel of mead. Nylana reached for a hard piece of flat bread.

"Hey pretty lady," said a man walking unstably on his feet. His stale breath told her that he had been drinking.

"Leave me alone," said Nylana.

"Oh, what are you going to do about it?" The man grabbed her wrist pulling her toward him.

Instantly, Nylana grabbed the man's hand wrenching his thumb back and freeing her wrist. She twisted his hand until something snapped.

"You wench," spat the man, "You broke my wrist."

"I told you to leave me be," said Nylana, coldly.

Another man lunged for her. Galdin snatched him from midair and slammed him against the wall. The music stopped. All eyes rested upon them as people drew near. So much for going unnoticed, thought Nylana.

The big man she had noticed earlier pushed his way through the crowd and to where they stood. "What goes on here?"

His gruff demeanor forced others to back away indicating that he was in charge.

"She broke my wrist," shouted the man that had accosted Nylana.

"I told him to leave me alone," said Nylana, "He refused."

"He was one of my best men," said the big man before her.

"We just want some food and quiet," said Nylana, "Why don't we part amicably."