Legends Lost: Galdin (Book1, Chapter VIII)

Начните с самого начала

"Thank you."

"Here is a map of the country. I've marked where the main estates are around here, but I am afraid I do not know all of them. Good Luck." The man departed quickly disappearing in the crowd.

Narúl noticed soldiers marching past. Not wanting to attract attention, he pulled his cloak up and slipped away. He joined the rear of a group sauntering past before darting around a corner and into the alley beyond.

* * *

Nylana darted and swerved through the marketplace with her loaded basket of goods. Finally freed of the pit, it had taken her a few weeks to recover from the ordeal. Now, she was the errand girl. She glanced at the list that the head servant had given to her. Bread.

Quickly, Nylana headed in the direction of the baker. The Gorganofs always wanted fresh bread and they only accepted loaves from one particular baker.

A hand snatched a package from her basket. Instantly, Nylana grabbed it. She and the thief struggled a moment as each yanked on the package trying to get away with their prize. Finally, Nylana kicked the man in the shins forcing him to let go. She stuffed the bundle back into her basket and darted off before he could alert the authorities to a riotous slave. Even common criminals enjoyed more freedom than her.

The baker came into view and Nylana dashed across the muddy street and into the building.

"Well?" said the baker, rudely. After a quick glance at the bracelets on her arm, he knew what Nylana was. Less than an insect.

"I need a loaf of your finest bread for my master," she said.

Grunting, the baker walked to his storage bin and pulled out an already wrapped loaf.

"Not that one," said Nylana with an air of authority, "One fresh from your ovens."

"How dare you-"

"My master demands it," interrupted Nylana. "And if you insist on giving me the stale loaf in your hand, then you can tell Mr. Gorganof why his bread tastes like refuse."

"Why you insolent slave," spat the baker.

"I'll not be punished for your indiscretion."

The baker tossed the stale loaf back into the bin. He yanked one out of the oven, wrapped it, and tossed it casually into Nylana's basket. "Two silver coins," he said.

"It will be one coin as before," replied Nylana. She placed the single, silver coin on the counter and left. Just because the Gorganofs were allowed to treat her poorly, she refused to accept the same from others.

After the long walk from the market, Nylana finally reached the path to the manor. She hurried along trying her best to not spill the contents of her basket. Its heavy load made walking difficult.

Voices caught her attention. Nylana glanced over to see what the commotion was. The foreman threw an elderly man to the ground. She heard the sickening gasp as the foreman kicked the other in the stomach.

"You worthless, wretch," spat the foreman. "Sitting on the job! I'll teach you the meaning of hard work." The foreman lashed his whip across the one on the ground. "Get up! Get up, I said!" Another lash.

Nylana seized the salami in her basket and dropped her bundle running straight for the foreman. With one swift strike, she smacked the log of salami into the man's head.

"Stop it," she yelled, "Can't you see that he is barely able to stand? How can you expect him to work if you beat him?"

Nylana smacked the man again with her log of salami catching him off guard and forcing him to take two steps back. Like a ferocious animal, she repeatedly pounded the foreman with the salami. Guards hurried to her, grasping her arms and yanking her off of her victim.